Earthquakes in Thailand?

jp1

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says lopburi3:

This is one advantage of Thailand. No serious earthquakes (and lived on Hokkaido two years so know about them); no volcanos, no tornados, no snow, almost no typhoons or hailstorms. But it can rain a lot very fast; like a couple hours ago here in NE Bangkok.

Over here we've everything, deadly typhoons, rain floods and landslides , devastating earthquakes, volcanoes, snow in winter and heat in summer (although this summer is still too cool) and sometimes even tornadoes.

Over here we've everything, deadly typhoons, rain floods and landslides , devastating earthquakes, volcanoes, snow in winter and heat in summer (although this summer is still too cool) and sometimes even tornadoes.

Not to mention a three-week rainy season that can last two months, stinking suits on crowded trains, drunk suits heaving up platform pizzas, ancient politicians with one foot and their cock in the grave, 30,000 suicides a year.....

And then there are the women. :hubba: :hubba: :hubba:

Not to mention a three-week rainy season that can last two months, stinking suits on crowded trains, drunk suits serving up platform pizzas, ancient politicians with one foot and their cock in the grave, 30,000 suicides a year.....

And then there are the women.

yeah, this year's rainy season sucks. No sunshine for more than 5 weeks. Never seen something like that before. Too wet, too cool. Btw the number of suicides reached more than 32,000 last year, a new record. Mainly financial and job problems, but I agree, then there are the girls....... :devil:

Says Khun_Kong:

Due to the poor quality of Thai construction, I would think that you'd have to add 1-2 Richter points (10-100X stronger) to any Thai tremblors! I'm astounded that many places don't collapse in a strong breeze!!

Earthquakes with a magnitude 6+ would certainly cause major destruction in most countries and cause thousands of deaths. Due to the unique structure of Japanese houses the damage is somehow limited. I believe that most Bangkok skyscrapers are earthquake resistant but I doubt that they could withstand earthquakes above magnitude 6. From what I?ve seen in Thailand the construction of most houses is very poor.

"Due to the poor quality of Thai construction, I would think that you'd have to add 1-2 Richter points (10-100X stronger) to any Thai tremblors! I'm astounded that many places don't collapse in a strong breeze!!"

Doesn't even require a strong breeze. Remember that hotel in Korat that had several floors collapse a few years ago?

Archived