What language do your children speak?

limbo

"I know this person reasonably well, their dad is english mum thai. Dad lives in thailand with mum now.

They are very proud of their thai, however I can assure you they are as english as I am . If I had to split hairs they are 90% english 10% thai.

They cook thai food all the time, and can speak thai thas why I said 10% thai. If you met them I would bet money you would not think they were thai in any way, unless they were cooking you a meal."

Yes, it seems very familiar. And if they couldn't speak English or spoke it very bad, you would not have regarded them as English.

Turn it around, when they go to Thailand and see their family there. Mix with Thais. If they can't speak Thai - nobody will regard them as Thais. Thats a loss isn't it?

I have raised 2 bi langual kids, and they slide into each society without much effort. Language is a gate which opens a lot.

Cheers!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

Well I will encourage my little girl to speak only English to avoid the two of them conspiring against me for bigger pocket money handouts when she gets older :grinyes:

I have a bad feeling about this, LP.

Consider yourself a lucky man if they don't force you to hand over your whole salary.

And...I don't think they need any language to clearify their wish. :grinyes:

Hope you're still with us to share your ordeal when the above takes place. :)

Says lazyphil:

Well I will encourage my little girl to speak only English to avoid the two of them conspiring against me for bigger pocket money handouts when she gets older
:grinyes:

Phil,

I think you are wrong on this !

By all means, make sure they speak Thai so that she will have a larger bagage when older, and maybe there will be your chance to learn it as well :)

Cheers !

The only reason I could see to teach them french is perhaps if they have shown a desire, at their tender ages, to either one day successfully surrender during armed combat or if perhaps they have already developed an unjustified superiority complex.

But somehow I doubt it.

:)

Archived