What language do your children speak?

limbo

I think you are looking deeper than is the case, they are about as interested in their roots as the next person, which isnt very much.

People live day to day, they are as english as I am. I don't think you need to worry about a Luk Krung growing up in the west, they are a westerner

STH,

don't understimate this. They behave and act in the West like a Westerner but deep inside they know that they're different. From the 'Half' (as they're called in Japan) I know they are very much aware of their dual identity. Many of them -over here in Japan- have jobs in the entertainment industry (TV, Commercials, show buz) because of their good looks. They're not discriminated against but have to prove every day that they're better than the ordinary Japanese. I believe that the Luk Krueng are more or less in the same situation over there in Thailand.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if I agree with you being lucky as a native English speaker, as they are usually more 'lazy' about the need to learn another language....

Native English speakers have the advantage that their language is understood in all four corners of our planet but this leads also to complacency. :neener:

I know this person reasonably well, their dad is english mum thai. Dad lives in thailand with mum now.

They are very proud of their thai, however I can assure you they are as english as I am . If I had to split hairs they are 90% english 10% thai.

They cook thai food all the time, and can speak thai thas why I said 10% thai. If you met them I would bet money you would not think they were thai in any way, unless they were cooking you a meal.

STH

Believe me it is an advantage BB, I could go most places in the world and make myself understood.

If I could only speak flemmish or Thai , my options are limited.

The world abounds with good english literature, from Australia, USA, Canada, Ireland I could go on, I am lucky that I can experience different cultures without having to speak another language..... ( i know they are not that different to you maybe) but they are even though language is the same.

STH

Hi STH,

hmmm, I guess you have never been to South America then? Good luck with your english there! ::

As a matter of fact I prize myself lucky that I am not a native english speaker. If I were I would probably only command this single language.

Everybody with a decent command of english can go not to most places but many places in the world and be understood. It doesnt take a native english speaker to do so.

Being truely bilingual is IMO a gift that cannot be overrated. You have to start learning at a very early age to obtain this. I was too old before I ever started learning a foreign language and you will be able to tell that I am not a native english speaker within seconds after I open my mouth.

I have 2 kids and I would very much like them to be bilingual in my language danish and thai. As they will never get this opportunity later on. And they get it for free before ever going to school.

Besides the major part of their relatives live in Thailand and none of them speak a word of english. What kind of a relationship can they have to grandma, grandpa, cousins etc. etc. without commanding the language?

Cheers

Hua Nguu

I havent been to South America you are right, it is a place I will go to.. just need the time.

I am sure I could speak fluent spanish within a few months... its an easy language...

You will be surprised how much English I don't know. If I can have absolute knowledge or nearer enough to it, I will be happy.

I agree with you though; I would love to be polylingual and the like, how can I be. To do that my dad would have to french my mum russian, we lived in germany and japan at the diplomatic mission and my wife is Thai....

STH

Says spirit_of_town_hall:

Believe me it is an advantage BB, I could go most places in the world and make myself understood.

If I could only speak flemmish or Thai , my options are limited.

The world abounds with good english literature, from Australia, USA, Canada, Ireland I could go on, I am lucky that I can experience different cultures without having to speak another language..... ( i know they are not that different to you maybe) but they are even though language is the same.

STH,

You definitely did not get my point :)

Yes, you are lucky to speak English, but you are a poor guy to 'only' speak English.......

Also, if you have to confine yourself to 'only' English literature and culture, then surely you have not seen nor you dont know anything of the real world :)

And like mentioned before, so many places in the world dont care about English at all, what then ??????

Look at the shite in Iraq, partly because none of the troops speak Arabic, nor the Iraqis English......

Cheers !

Hey there BB,

I think the situation in Iraq is bad because their country is fucked!

Nothing works, no electricity, no rubbish collection, no air con... all the things people need, whilst the oil ministry was up and running from day 1.

The Iraqi's speak pretty good english. Iraq as it then was belonged to Britain until the late 30's I think maybe later.

Iraq is a very well educacted nation, I would be very very surprised if even skilled tradesmen couldnt speak some pidgen english..

STH

STH,

Iraq was used only as an example :) this thread is about languages of your children.........

I learned 3 at a very young age and I'm grateful, you didn't and dont feel the loss, I'm sorry for you.

I was trying to make a very simple point that the more you speak, the brigher your horizon, point you dont see.

Of course English is very important, but only a minority on this planet have it as a mothertongue or speak it.

I for one has traveled many times to Iraq and no, most dont speak even pidgin English, maybe - just maybe the top 2 or 3 % speak decent English.

That it used to 'belong' to you does not matter, that generation is dead.

Cheers !

Archived