What language do your children speak?

limbo

STH,

You?re not serious about this, are you? To be bi- or tri lingual is the greatest gift for any offspring from a ?mixed? couple. In our globalized world it becomes more and more important to speak at least 3 languages fluently. For newly to be hired staff in my company that?s the main condition (at least in East Asia), more important than any top university degree.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there,

I suppose I am serious. When you recruit in Asia what you are looking for is say Japanese people who can speak good English...

I will be more specific, if I lived in England with a Japanese wife, English would be the official language of the house.

If their mum wanted to speak Japanese, thats fine. However if I thought it was confusing them I would restrict Japanese speaking.

I was speaking with a colleague this morning. Their brother is in the RAF. He has just got back from 3 years in France, training the French airforce as part of a reciprocal arrangement.

My colleague met their brother last night and their 6 year old daughter is speaking a mixture of English, French and German. They were in Germany before..

The reason they moved back was to have some language stability.

If a lived in Thailand and I knew that I would be there for the long term life, I would speak Thai, however I would have to ensure that the children spoke english as well as myself.

I enjoy Thailand as a country, I don't believe it is possible for anyone other than a Thai to be accepted 100% in that country (however that is the same for all countries, (people from the sub-continent have been in my country for 5 generations now and they are not viewed as English people , however they would be the first to say that they were British born Asians)

JP1 in fact I think after studying your post you have agreed with me,

. For newly to be hired staff in my company that?s the main condition (at least in East Asia), more important than any top university degree .

More important than a Top Uni degree, whats more important JP is that they speak good English.

When applying for good jobs after Uni Jp, in the UK 99% of the time it is never mentioned.... to satisfy your curiosity visit some URL's of decent global firms in London... none ask for languages......

STH

You?ve some valid points but let me answer this step by step:

I suppose I am serious. When you recruit in Asia what you are looking for is say Japanese people who can speak good English...

It goes without saying that English is an absolute precondition. Without English-even if they speak other languages- no chance. But that?s not enough. Another language is wanted, preferably German. If they don?t speak German, Chinese or Spanish serves as a substitute.

I will be more specific, if I lived in England with a Japanese wife, English would be the official language of the house.

No disagreement here.

If their mum wanted to speak Japanese, thats fine. However if I thought it was confusing them I would restrict Japanese speaking.

Trust me, they?ll not be confused. They adopt both languages without any problem. But you should restrict yourself to English only. If you talk in a language other than your mother tongue with your kids they get really confused. So both parents should do their communication with the kids in their own native language.

I was speaking with a colleague this morning. Their brother is in the RAF. He has just got back from 3 years in France, training the French airforce as part of a reciprocal arreangement.

My colleague met their brother last night and their 6 year old daughter is speaking a mixture of English, French and German. They were in Germany before..

The reason they moved back was to have some language stability.

Very understandable because the kids parents are both British, I suppose. The kids learned French and German only on the street, so to speak, none of these 2 languages is the native language of one of the parents. A completely different situation from above.

If a lived in Thailand and I knew that I would be there for the long term life, I would speak Thai, however I would have to ensure that the children spoke english as well as myself.

If you?re married to a Thai girl then the a.m. situation applies, meaning that both parents speak to the child in their own language. It?s easy for a child to pick up both languages. It?s like playing and no burden.

I enjoy Thailand as a country, I don't believe it is possible for anyone other than a Thai to be accepted 100% in that country (however that is the same for all countries, (people from the sub-continent have been in my country for 5 generations now and they are not viewed as English people , however they would be the first to say that they were British born Asians)

STH, acceptance within a society and the knowledge of a language are two different things. Indians or Pakistanis have a tough standing and will never be fully accepted as British, I agree, but they speak the language of their new home country.

JP1 in fact I think after studying your post you have agreed with me,

. For newly to be hired staff in my company that?s the main condition (at least in East Asia), more important than any top university degree .

More important than a Top Uni degree, whats more important JP is that they speak good English.

Once again, English is the top priority whichever way we look at it but don?t restrict the kids to just one language. To speak several languages is fun. There are more chances and opportunities besides it's a very good tool to understand other cultures and enjoy other people.

Huh, that was a long reply but I also believe that you can agree

Hi JP1,

I back you up on this. At least on the part that the parents should only speak to their children in their mother tongue.

The children will be able to adopt both languages easily but will get confused if the parents speak different languages with them.

For me, its not just a matter of mastering more languages than one and gaining advantages from that which is important.

Its a cultural side also, the need to be in touch with your roots. For luk krung kids, thats difficult without speaking Thai. Its about identity, understanding your background. How does it feel to be Thai and not be able to speak it?

Cheers!

Its a cultural side also, the need to be in touch with your roots. For luk krung kids, thats difficult without speaking Thai. Its about identity, understanding your background.

Absolutely, without speaking the language of both parents it's hard for a child to find an own identity. I also believe that it does not take too many efforts for the parents to bring up their children in both languages.

I know a luk krung , they have been in the UK all their life. Spent 6 months in Thailand (parents live there , they moved there when she was grown up). Can speak Thai to an extent, but cant listen very well, or is it the other way round....

I think you are looking deeper than is the case, they are about as interested in their roots as the next person, which isnt very much.

People live day to day, they are as english as I am. I don't think you need to worry about a Luk Krung growing up in the west, they are a westerner.

Maybe in Thailand with slightly bizaar treatment from the locals (ie they are either viewed as very good looking / or discriminated against ) maybe then there there is an identity crisis.

STH

STH

Says spirit_of_town_hall:

I agree with your post, I would love to speak another language in fact I am learning one now. However I realise and fully appreciate how lucky I am, to be a native english speaker.

STH

STH,

Not sure if I agree with you being lucky as a native English speaker, as they are usually more 'lazy' about the need to learn another language....

Nothing personal, just a fact.

Cheers !

"I think you are looking deeper than is the case, they are about as interested in their roots as the next person, which isnt very much.

People live day to day, they are as english as I am. I don't think you need to worry about a Luk Krung growing up in the west, they are a westerner. "

As long as they grow up with their Thai parent, they sure aint as English as the next person. I could agree with your statement if they have been cut off from all Thai influence at an early age.

They are 50% Thai, and they know it.

Cheers!

Archived