Starting a go-go bar

TroyinEwa/Perv

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like your determination and will not try to persuade you not to do it. If you do get it going, it would be great to post your progress here and so we can check it out! However, I think it would be dangerous to ignore ANY of the negative things you read here. The fact you are dealing in a foreign country with this many red flags being raised and a large amount of money involved, there just isn?t a better justification to get someone with legal experience involved. Otherwise, you will just be the next feeding to the sharks. And such stories are sadly frequent.

Does anyone know the conclusion to this one? Some time ago there was a post about your average beer bar by Soi Cowboy for sale. The post was about how the owner got so filthy rich off it and had more money than she knew what to do with and was selling the bar (the lease I would guess) to the next lucky person. The price was many, many millions of baht. Every time I walk by the beer bars in SC I wonder how they can make ANY money. The majority are empty or close to it just about any time of the day or night I walk by them. So when I hear millions of baht just to open the door, it just doesn?t add up to me.

[color:"green"] None of us have experience in this type of business. We are 3 long time airline guys looking for a way out. [/color]

My advice, feel free to ignore it ::, is to work part-time in a bar in your home country. Learn to speak and read Thai. When you visit LOS talk to several bar owners. Remember you are looking at 16 hour days for Months on end getting a bar setup and running. Have enough capital to last at least 2 years.

>>>Just some legal advice and start-up procedures for this type of business is all I want. <<<

that is always funny - asking for legal advice to do a greyzone business. ::

but I am not a babe in the woods either

-------------------------------

If so, good, as you definitely need to focus on the negatives more than the promises. Murphy's law definitely a better counsel than business and bail laws expertise. Good luck, make sure you talk to a lot of bar owners....

Live here for a while. Get to know the basics and the people behind this industry. Learn to read and write thai, so that you know under what you put your signature. Why would someone open a Go-Go Bar, anyway? If you dont have the experience and if you are not well off with the authorities, better leave it. I am here since 7 years and know lots of people who failed. I have seen them all and cant remember one who made is way....some of them were really smart.

Cheers :beer:

It might me worth reading up on the kind of things that happen in bar areas in Thailand e.g., several acres of bars being bulldozed overnight over a land dispute. How'd you like to wake up and find your dream bar in a heap of smoking rubble?

Many of the guys on this board are intimate :hubba: with the bar-scene, some for many years. And, don't think most sanukers haven't thought about owning a bar at some point. The reason most don't is becuase they know what a crap business it is.

There are a lot of good business opportunities in Thailand but unfortunately a gogo bar isn't one of them.

One more idea. This board is an enormous think tank of sorts with lawyers, doctors, professionals, bar owners, and others with just about an unfathomable amount of knowledge. When you find what seems the right deal at the right price, why not post it here so it can be judged. I am thinking at minimum, you will end up with some ammunition useful for negotiation.

Archived