Starting a go-go bar

TroyinEwa/Perv

I am hoping some of you guys can give me some information or point me in the right direction to find it. Two of my buddies and I are very interested in going into the nightlife business in Bangkok. But we lack knowledge of what is needed to do this in another country. We all live in the U.S. and are American. I for one would be willing to relocate to make this work. What I am asking for is information on either buying or renting a building, any licenses needed, who to contact for supplies, basically the gamit of what is required to pull this off. Anyone with info or knows where to find it can either PM me or post it here. Thanks for all your help.

Troy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you already read threads on owning a bar like:

link

If you search for Santos, Titty Twisters and Warblers (even if this story is true or not) you will find an nice way how to loose your money ::

I have no idea how this business works, but it seems you would have an easier time if I would give you my bank account and you will send me the money you wanted to invest. This might keep you from a lot of trouble and you will have more time for nightlife left. :grinyes: :hubba:

Hi,

The fact you need to ask this question is an indication that there is only one possible answer and that is to Forget It. :nono: I know many falangs who have tried over the years, but none who have really made a go of it. A few of these ended up with big problems and no longer feel able to visit LOS in safety, there are bad people out there! I even heard of one British go go bar owner (NEP) who topped himself many years ago due to debt and that was in the good days. Considering the current economic situation and the political climate I don't think there has ever been a worst time to be in the bar business. Thailand is a great place to spend your money but a tough one to earn it. Do yourself a favour, have a rethink. :beer:

Hi Troy -

My company runs the ThaiStartUp website. What we would basically do is help you launch a legal holding company - that company would then be the juristic entity to negotiate contracts, purchase or construction of a bar, obtain necessary licenses, etc. Starting such a company is very straightforward, and cost are predictable. But all it gets you is a company, and possibly a work permit and extended entry permit (once you have at least four Thai employees).

Will this enterprise be a hobby? Or just something to provide a legal means to stay here, while slowly bleeding away money? Or an attempt to break even? Or - very tough - an attempt to build wealth?

Do you hvae an exit strategy? Will you run this bar to your grave? Or build it up and sell it?

Have you or any of your associates previously worked in the nightlife/hospitality industry? Do you have any close Thai associates here in that industry who you could trust to advise you?

Here's the bottom line: Running a bar here, there are only about five sources of income - selling drinks, selling tobacco, selling merchandise, barfines, and pool table fees. If anyone feels I overlooked something, please chime in.

Five sources of income. Would you care to guess how many potential expenses there are in the "outgo" column? The list in almost endless - and mind-numbing. Right down to toilet paper, toothpicks, ashtrays, lightbulbs, locks and keys, payoffs to police, and a million-bazillion other things.

I've actually got the beginnings of a MS Excel spreadsheet put together asa financial model of a bar in Bangkok - with income factors set up so that you can separately model low season, medium season, and high season, and within each season, you can model separately the busy days and quiet days - i.e. how many pool players per hour / drinks per hour / barfines per night, etc. And you can manipulate the prices for your products and services - independently for each season or type of day.

The model also has maybe 90 of the main expense factors inserted on the expense side - out of probably 650 that should be there (think of the price of each different type of beverage glass).

Obviously, location is important. Knowing how to manage your business through the differing "seasons" of visitor activity is crucial. For the next 12 mnths, the two best times to buy a bar are now (until early October), or after February next year.

A good guy to talk to herewould be TopCat, who runs the CatHose at NEP, and who also has a piece of a go-go or two. He know the business, and won't blow smoke up your ass (and I don't think he's trying to sell his bar).

My two satang.

Good luck!

StoneSoup

Be alert. Bangkok needs more lerts.

Hi.......

::

The guy who owns this company is a sponser here named 'Stone Soup'. I had a question about a Thai girl who wanted to open hair shop. He was most generous, and knowlegable. If you are really serious, you need answers from a professional. Very important on how you initialy set up company in thailand, so someone like him needs to be brought on board from the very beginning. This is very important, IMO.

"spend a little now, to save much later".

HT

Thanks for the informative reply, SS. None of us have experience in this type of business. We are 3 long time airline guys looking for a way out. I realize many of the expenses and money-makers. I will not be swayed by those who say don't do it, you will be sorry, that type of thing. This is something I have thought about a long time but have not taken action on. I have about 25 trips to Thailand in the bank, not nearly enough, I know, to get a handle on this type of venture but I am not a babe in the woods either. Just some legal advice and start-up procedures for this type of business is all I want. I will keep this web-site in mind. This is not something that will be an overnight project. It may take many many months, even years to achieve but is something I am shooting for. Thanks again.

Troy

"...We are 3 long time airline guys looking for a way out..."

Hey, I'm an airline guy looking for a way out as well...!!! :) better idea, send me your money, I'll kick you in the nuts, and the end reslut will be the same feeling... :) Sorry, But I know to many people who lost big in this. Ever see how many bar beers are for sale? ever wonder why they are for sale...? My advice, stay out of the business unless very very well connected, and experienced, and even then you'd be taking a chance.

Archived