And I Thought It Was Perfect !@#%!!

gawguy

Oh yeah...I tweaked and tweaked. I followed the Black Viper and fine tuned all Services. I visited Digital Metrix in Hua Hin and did (almost) everything the guru said. I installed all the must-have programs you guys recommended. My system booted quick and was hot! I tweaked and tweaked. I forgot all about girls. Who needs em?

I ran Norton. No bugs. I ran Spybot and fixed everything. I Swept out all my secrets and I washed and waxed. I was ready to make the perfect mirror. I ran Acronis True Image - compliments of one of our members - and was proud to have a clone of my c drive tucked away for any occasion.

I shutdown my baby for the first time in a long time and when I turned her back on, the little dog (WinPatrol) barked at me. "Yap, yap somebody changed your home page to yapyapyap.com. Is this okay?"

"Hell no you over-sized rat, it's not okay! This is the perfect computer!" But I was sick and heartbroken, I knew IE had been hijacked and my mirror was dirty!

Woe is me! While geeking and tweaking I had turned off Zone Alarm and forgotten to turn it back on. Meanwhile I had stumbled across one of those "dodgy websites" that our saint-like married members avoid. Not seeing any sign of the incursion I tweaked on and then made my mirror.

I have looked at solutions for this type of problem and this one isn't superficial. The bug is planted deep in my registry I think. No matter what I do, my homepage keeps reverting to yapyapyap.com and believe me, my interest in dogs is not something I want the girlfriend to know about. The bug is in there too deep to get at with a little spray. I think I have to blow the house.

What is the hammer solution for this do you think? I don't have a recent backup of the registry although you can bet I will the second I get things right. I can easily do a "Repair this Windows Installation" from my Windows 2000 Pro disk. But that wouldn't change the registry would it? I could remove and reinstall IE? Might that work? What to do, what to do??

Gaw Guy

:applause: nice post.

follow what the other guys have said first. If that doesnt work try a google search using the offending URL and the word 'hijack'. This maybe a specific one, I had one a few weeks back that lavasoft and spybot missed.

">What to do, what to do??

I've no idea, but when you sort it out stop tweaking! You are driving me nuts! LOL. "

Yep, others moan about girl problems.

Gawguy has his PC ones.. He is turning into Technology Forum's Akarr! :neener:

Cheers!

Gawguy,

Relax! You will get it right in the end. And if you fuck up one or two times in the process, feck it, you've got an image! :up:

Like others before me said, try to fix things using adaware or Spybot. If this doesn't help, take a look at this page on home page hijackers. They discuss the various techniques these hijackers use and more important, how you can get rid of them. Incidently, try to pick up the microsoft patch that gets mentioned on this page to make sure your homepage doesn't get hijacked just by viewing the page.

Another good source on hijackers is http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/hijacked/

Let us know how you've fared.

Cheers,

soongmak

Hi,

"What's the last word on Akarr anyway. Do you know why he left this forum?"

Akarr was told that he could no longer post his relationship stuff. Anything else was fine. To make sure that he kept to this, we put him in Private Moderation, which means that every post he made had to be approved by a moderator.

I guess he got tired of typing loooong posts and having them disapproved.

Sanuk!

Archived