Buffet Times and prices

PhatPhak

OK, had a friend eat at Daidomon (sp) the other day and he had some trouble with the bill. The prices and times in my story are off a bit, but the general idea is correct.

He enters the restaurant at 5:00, orders the buffet for two people, which should be about 129 B per person. The bill comes at 5:40 or something, and the price is 159. The waitress claims that since the special buffet price ends at 5:30, he has to pay the full price. Now this seems strange to me. Why? Let's say the special buffet price starts at 2:30. I enter at 1:30, pig out for an hour and two minutes, the bill comes at 2:32, now I pay the special price? This makes no sense to me.

Can anyone explain the real system here?

Hi,

In my experience things like this can change from day to day at the same restaurant, depending on who is at work that day. If the 30 baht extra or the principle of it is a big thing to your friend, then just pick a different restaurant next time or just another outlet from the same chain. Another experience I have here is that outlets of the same chain might differ completely in food and service quality. One outlet is great and same restaurant in a different area is really bad. Not much to do about it, just pick the good ones.

Best regards,

Danish30

Can also happen when the beancounters run F&B in a hotel. They preprogram the cash register to change prices at certain times. If the meal or 'Happy Hour' drink is not rung through while the prices are in effect you'r charged for the next price. :banghead::censored::banghead:

God I love the basement brains. :cussing::doah:

One would have to know 'their' system. Usually the waitress or cashier will start your bill when you order. This sounds like a SNAFU ..possible during shift change. By the time the service staff went to enter the bill in the system, the early price was gone. No one could admit fault nor call a manager, who probably had no authority to over ride it anyway, and damned if someone was going to interupt the F&B manager.

Don't know the place, but I have seen this way too often in Thai managed hotels. :doah:

Ughh, sometimes Thailand is frustrating, but its still better here than anywhere else, you just really need to know what's going on around you.

As to the comment, "Who cares about 30 baht?"

You know, in my friends case, it was the principle of the matter, but for me it would be the 30 baht. Now granted, 30 baht is a pittance, but this 30 baht, the 10 baht extra I get charged by the motorcylce guy twice a day, the 5 baht the taxi driver tries to keep and so on and so on and so on...

I figured it out one time, and I was losing about 350 baht a week to thoughts of, its only X baht. Now I do it Thai style. That's my money damnit, and you can't have it.

This is basically (but not only) the reason why I won't go back to Woodstock.

I went there on many a Friday night at 6:00 pm, and planned to stay until about 9:00 pm, buying drinks, food, talking to the guys, watching TV, playing pool, etc....

Right around 7:00 pm, and normally when we all have full plates of food on the table, the waitresses would come around and want to "check bin" because Happy Hour was over, and the waitress/cashiers were changing shifts.

It is amazing how much this annoyed me (obviously since I'm posting it here).

Thankfully, the Friday night gatherings have been a success at Gullivers, and I have not had to step foot back inside Woodstock since.

Cheers!

Archived