Win Mix??

Old Hippie

Thanks guys, WinMx, is/was fine, trouble was somehow I got my connection setting crossed, had 56k when I signed up, and now have DSL...somehow this mad a difference. As for Kaaza lite, do you have to pay for the service? Saw something that said it was $1.00/month...? Not the money, just how to pay, and I worry about tracking if they ever decide to make good on their threat to go after people sharing files...

Says Old Hippie:

Thanks guys, WinMx, is/was fine, trouble was somehow I got my connection setting crossed, had 56k when I signed up, and now have DSL...somehow this mad a difference. As for Kaaza lite, do you have to pay for the service? Saw something that said it was $1.00/month...? Not the money, just how to pay, and I worry about tracking if they ever decide to make good on their threat to go after people sharing files...

No, no money involved from your side. In my experience it is a very fast and stable file sharing tool.

from the Kazaa homepage:

Kazaa Lite provides sharing of all kinds of media and software. It is a 'FastTrack' Client, which means it connects to the FastTrack P2P network system.

Kazaa Lite can download single files from multiple users to ensure you get the most efficient use of your bandwidth. They also resumes broken downloads or downloads that were in progress when you shut down your computer last.

If you need more information, read the FAQ on the homepage.

Note: In the US RIAA does not like sharing music files and currently tries to bring normal users to trial, which IMHO will backfire on the long run, because they accused not only typical hackers, but teenager, parents e.g. who usually are the customers of the music industry. You cannot prosecute your clients and expect them to be good buyers in the near future. :banghead:

But if you don't offer hundred of music files via Kazaa I do not think that there will be any problem, especially if you subsribe with your nick :grinyes:

More information on this here

> But if you don't offer hundred of music files via Kazaa I do not think that there will be any problem, especially if you subsribe with your nick

Afaik, you can always be tracked using your ip and isp. May be, an anonymizer helps? However, I am not sure about the legal status of sharing. Once, you bought the music and you can do with it what you want, can't you?

"...Once, you bought the music and you can do with it what you want, can't you?..."

Apparently not! These record company guys are real money hungry weasels, and blame web sharing for declining sales, couldn't be the high prices for cds...? For me, I am downloading music I would not spend money on...

Says Peter1964:

> But if you don't offer hundred of music files via Kazaa I do not think that there will be any problem, especially if you subsribe with your nick

Afaik, you can always be tracked using your ip and isp. May be, an anonymizer helps? However, I am not sure about the legal status of sharing. Once, you bought the music and you can do with it what you want, can't you?

Yes, you can be tracked via your IP-adress, but only if the provider reveals your name. In most countries the law seems to be quite clear, you are aloud to make private copies but not to share it. See my link above. In Germany they try to forbid any copy and in a few days it will be even illegal to sell and use? software which is able to copy secured CDs and DVDs. :cussing:

Archived