Recording time working on files.

Hamokhamok

Does anyone know of any software that I can get to record the time I spend on various documents in Microsoft Office. I use the laptop to work at home and I need to be able to record the amount of time I spend on each file I open and work on.

It doesn't have to be Microsoft Specific.

Thanks in advance of the help.

If you are specifically talking about MS Office documents, it is easy. If you look under File Properties Statistics, then Editing Time (in minutes) is one of the provided statistics. Note, however, that such statistics are not perfect. How do you account for time spent answering the phone (when the document is open but not being worked on) or when you have two documents open concurrently?

If you are talking about time spent editing files generally, that is a more interesting problem. The cheapest solution, if you are a little bit technical, is to install a product that records file opens and closes in directories of interest and then write something like a perl script to post process the output. Again, it is important to understand what the output is saying: it is not actually verifying that you are typing all the time the file is open.

If you find better solutions, post and let us know.

Thanks for the help.

I need a rough guess at the time spent on documents.

I know about the 'properties'side of tMS documents but that means you have to look at thet when you open it and then do your calculations at the end.

It should be easy enough to come up with a small program to do the job.

Time spent onm docs open but not being worked on can be acceptable as you could be checking details off the screen etc.

I will keep looking and see what I can come up with.

Archived