The Goddamn Tomato

Zaad

Ok, I've been wanting to ask this for a very long time, but was (still am) ashamed of starting a thread about it. Fuck it. :)

The deadly combination of both patience and alcohol have written history, glad you're a part of it.

Tomatoes are freakin' veggies.....in the West.

I've asked 10!!! Thais ''is the tomato a fruit or veggie?'' and they all answered: 'Fruit'. :help:

What the.. :cussing:

Is the tomato a fruit in Asia and a veggie elsewhere?

Ask your (bar)girl, I need more info please, THANKS!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we had a thread about potatoes last week so why not, I am not 100% as never really thought about this before but I have never heard in Thai a tomato called a fruit before, its sold as a vegtable with all the vegetables and is in salads etc as a vegatable and called in these cases a vegetable so would have to think its not known as a fruit, :cover::cover::)

You guys are right and the seeds are the key,

From a tomato web site below.....

Although the tomato is not sweet, it is a fruit rather than a vegetable. That's because science calls a fruit any fleshy material covering the seeds of a plant. The tomato has seeds inside, so it is a fruit -- so are cucumbers, green peppers, and squash. We often refer to them as vegetables, though, because of the way they taste. We tend to think of fruits as sweet

Says racha:

...it is a fruit rather than a vegetable. That's because science calls a fruit any fleshy material covering the seeds... The tomato has seeds inside, so it is a fruit... We tend to think of fruits as sweet

So my scrotum's a fruit! :) I'd suspected as much, they way a few birds insist on chowing down on it :o. It's attached to a "stalk", after all. ::

sweet jack :up:

:grinyes:

Thanks for your support BKKButcher :up:

Racha,

I checked the net as well and found out the tomato is either this or that. ::

Call me a dumbass :p but I've always known the tomato as a veggie and it's too late to change that back now. :)

Archived