The Goddamn Tomato

Zaad

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right on. Thanks.

Always wondered why they didn't grow sweet corn for roadside sales in Thailand?

Found out the reason they have a really hard time with Tomatoes, especially Beefstake, due to a nematode in the soil that comes from the irrigation water. The only cure is 1000 times worse than the problem. Must ask my agriculturist buddy next time I see him.

Beefstakes and Sweet Corn .... what a market garden :grinyes:

YEs, she loved the sweet corn. What she liked even better were the peaches (not fully ripe) SHe ate about 3 every day.

But the #1 big hit? Oranges. Big and sweet. Juiced and whole. She never ate less than 5 a day. I know on some days she ate 8 or more! Not those little tangerines they have in abundance in LOS.

SHe also loved the variety of chilis in my garden. She went with the Thai belief that only small ones can be hot. I have a few varieties that are big and MUCH hotter than Thai bird chilis. She ate em up tho and brought home seeds to grow. That was some damn hot tom yung goong!

Nematodes cn be beneficial of destructive. I see them sold in garden centers here now. Didn't know that was the problem in LOS. Thanks for that info. Guess if I want to grow some at her house I would need potting soil and bottled water. Not economical, but at least some fine tomatoes for my consumption.

Nematodes cn be beneficial of destructive. I see them sold in garden centers here now. Didn't know that was the problem in LOS. Thanks for that info. Guess if I want to grow some at her house I would need potting soil and bottled water. Not economical, but at least some fine tomatoes for my consumption.

Yeah, I got a buddy who is a world class agronimist who lives in CM. So after many attempts to grow some big Tomatoes, he told me the story. Yes, you not only need the soil (you can sterilize small amounts in your favourite restaurants pizza oven :grinyes: ) but the water, as apparently that's where the nasties live. The only solution is Chromium salts, not something to play with.

Fun to introduce Thai to Habernaro peppers too. :grinyes:

Says LaoHuLi:

Fun to introduce Thai to Habernaro peppers too.
:grinyes:

She tried the scotch bonnets. Just about the same. But it was these other chilis, half green, half black, and grow pointing up, About same size as a serano. MUCH hotter. But quite eddible and tasty. You know about Lisu food, so I don't need to tell you how hot they like potato dishes, but she would try to use the same number of chilis as she would Thai chilis. YEOWWW. She toned it down and got it to a very nice spicy level.

BTW, I am off to Alaska tomorrow. Not exactly the Canadian Yukon tho. Hiking out of Anchorage.

Archived