Asoke Plaza - 2 months til closing.

ultras67

I went to the beer bars at Asoke Plaza for the first time in a few weeks and walking from Asok I got the narrow part where it broadens out into what I call Lolita Square.

My first general thought was, it wasnt busy and its a bit dark here. I also noticed there seemed to be a lack of TVs which was strange as the football was still on. I walked further towards Soi 23 and again was hit by the lack of TVs in the beer bars. It was only then I realised the square was darker than usual as about 5 or 6 bars had shut down and the internet cafe was dark ( although it was open about 1 hr later ).

I got talking to the "manager" of the bar I eventually ended up in and got told the reason. All the bars had been told that they had to be closed within two months and that bars were gradually closing and getting rid of stock and hardware (TVs, audio etc).

This bar would close in about 1 month and she didnt know what she or the girls would do.

So, it seems that somebody may have decided that the crackdown would give them the chance to clear the bars out early instead of waiting nearer the subway opening. I know it was going to close at some point before the subway opened but had assumed Jan or Feb next year.

How will this effect Cowboy I wonder, as I often like a quick drink in the Plaza before going round and so did some others. More pool/music bars in Cowboy? Less customers overall as it becomes more isolated? Cowboy eventually moving so it is more discrete? Just where will the girls go? Its another big area to let loose onto the "beer bar job market". Time will tell I suppose.

For whom does the bell toll? It tolls for falang orientated entertainment venues. ( apologies to who wrote that originally )

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must be a jinx, as Clinton, Soi 10, and Asoke have all been hangouts that I enjoy, that always got good share of my beer money and usually a girl or two every trip. From what you say, they will all soon be history.

Anyone have suggestions for somewhere else in Suk area with same sort of down-scale but fun beer-bar atmosphere as these dearly departed places?

So another one bite's the dust and another one. My little area on Lower Suk. has certainly changed. I knew that those asoke bars where history. Can't have all that on top of the subway entrance. Not too mention the development potential.

I was never a big fan of asoke but it did give the area a sense of a "party atmosphere" being a primarily tourist area. I was not too upset altough it was a shame when soi 10 was demolished. I was however devastated by the demise of Clinton Plaza,especially the "Dollhose"and my favorite Delifrance. I normally live/stay on soi 15 when in BKK so that area is like my home.

Well as they say "change" it's the Buddha way.

I guess there's still the Thermae,BG 7,and ambasador Beer garden. I can always stumble down to cowboy if I don't get killed at Soi Asoke or the ladyboy's get me. BTW a month or so ago I was having some noodles at that little stand there on the NE corner at Sukumvit there when I heard a sickening thud and then a young TG shriek. I turned around to see that a very drunk middle aged Falang had been clipped by a motorcycle . Some passers by helped him to his feet and he was insisting that he was alright.

I wondered what happened to him because a year or so ago a girl I know was run down by a motorcycle and died about a week later from the injury.

LL

Very sad that those bars will be history. Like Clinton and soi 10. Will there be any relaxed bars left in Bangkok next time I come back there? Guess soon they demolish MorningNight, Cathouse, Thermae and Soi Zero. Only gogos left and the beer price will be 200 baht and barfine 1000 and no chance having afternoon beer in shorts and sandals anywhere else but in your hotel room. :: ::

Tend to agree. Suspect it has more to do with normal city growth and business (sure can't make fortunes leasing little beer bars :banghead: )

Despite our often correct views, business is business and there is not a large plot to eliminate the farang's favourite watering holes. Although sadly this is sometimes a byproduct of 'progress'.

Says ultras67:

So, it seems that somebody may have decided that the crackdown would give them the chance to clear the bars out early instead of waiting nearer the subway opening. I know it was going to close at some point before the subway opened but had assumed Jan or Feb next year.

A landlord does not need the excuse of a crackdown to release his tenants.

Now if you were the owner of the property why would you wait until the "opening" of the subway to clear out the beer bars? More than likely you already have development plans in motion that are concurrent with the opening of the subway station as well as an increase in demand for commercial space in the area.

Maybe the barowners will move across the street become squatters, renovate and complete that unfinished office building to give the pretense of a more upscale version of beerbars, so as to fit into the new look of Sukhumvit?

Personally I won't miss Asoke P. When I stayed at Thai Pan Hotel last year I had to walk along the bars located at at the street front a few times a day and often I found the behavior of the girls quite annoying.

But nevertheless I hope that the girls will find new employment soon.

Archived