Yes, the ultimate barber's shop does exist!

Ah, the naughty barber shop; often cited but seldom seen. To my mind, the extras at a naughty barbershop should be just that--extra. The naughty barbershop should always be a barbershop first, with the naughty option after as a delightful surprise (the first time, at least).

The place you refer to is a barber shop in the same way as Baron's or 33 Centre. It's a P4P place where you can also get a haircut. The name is something like 55 Barber and Sauna (or is it Massage?). Allegedly, there used to be ex-Baron's girls there. Phil is absolutely correct in his directions, but for those who enjoy using the rear entrance there's a well-marked door with a barber pole next to it set in a cheesy cinderblock wall facing on Soi 9 (Thonglor) itself. This looks much more sordid than the bright, glassy front entrance, so it may be preferable for some of us.

By the way, there are a couple other massage places across Soi 9. Haven't tried them, but they await.

One important note on barber shops which may be useful for newbies or non-residents: there's a moldy (2001, I think) post which details the naughty barbershop scene and makes occasional appearances on various boards. A lot of this information is not correct. Some of the places mentioned aren't really barbershops but will offer haircuts as a sideline. Other advice such as "barber pole+covered window=naughty barbershop" is simply untrue. The places answering to this description on Sukhumvit near Thonglor, for instance, are entirely legit. I know, 'cause I get my hair cut at one, and I've checked out the others. The barber is a nice guy, does a great haircut, and is happy to chat in Thai no matter how bad your Thai is. I don't think I'd ask him for a HJ, though.

The search continues.

A Poor Judge of Character

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived