Yes, the ultimate barber's shop does exist!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] Hmmm....I pay 50THB for mine, in Prakhanong under the bridge, sitting outside on the street [/color]

Hey you are a class act.

I recall a haircut I had in Egypt once, sat outside with a mirror nailed to a palm tree. The guy was real friendly and invited me for a vile sugar cane drink after. The locals I worked with could hardly believe I had used such a lowly service.

The haicut was atrocious too!

The going rate for a haircut in Nondu (90 km East of Nong Khai) is 20 Baht + tip. No air conditionig, only a wobbly cealing fan.

Sadly, the guy's wife made him take down the posters with the topless ladies on them :(

I do recommend stopping by for one the next time you are in the area.

Excellent haircut.

RickF

Yes I have watched this palaver myself, sometimes with amusement and sometimes with mounting impatience. I watched a Kuwaiti nit-pick over his haircut and shave for 45 minutes as I waited for a quick shearing. Then he covered it up with his head-dress! :doah:

Obviously you and OH have failed to learn to appreciate one of the great treasures of living in Asia.

From grand salons in Turkey, to sidewalks in Afghanistan, from the basic shop in Chiang Mai, to the special services of revolving poles, Asia is the last bastion of the only male preserve left........the barber shop.

Not a bloody "Hair Salon" or a "Unisex We cut All" or whatever the in phrase is today.

A barber shop, where ALL the clients are MEN. Katoeys don't go there, women don't go there, and transexuals avoid it like the plague. Where old pinups are fine, the talk is always about weather, sports, politics, women and politicians. It's CNN or Sports on the TV or radio. The pulse of the city moves through client by client. Monks, pimps, politicians, execs and busboys all get the same service.

Where (if you are lucky) you can spend an hour away from the politically correct world, be pampered like the king in disguise you really are. Hot towels, a real razor, a neck massage.......... you are missing one of the finer things in life.

In 35 years in Asia, the only time I have shaved myself was for the g/f's amusement, or because I was too lazy to go outside the hotel room. Ah, the decadent pleasures you ignore.

Revel in it while it still exists. Or you will only know the Fast Food treament. :bow:

PS. The "head-dress" is only worn in public as a sign of respect to his deity.

Says rickfarang:

The going rate for a haircut in Nondu (90 km East of Nong Khai) is 20 Baht + tip. No air conditionig, only a wobbly cealing fan.

Sadly, the guy's wife made him take down the posters with the topless ladies on them
:(

I do recommend stopping by for one the next time you are in the area.

Excellent haircut.

RickF

Hi RF

Has the crackdown come to this ::

Archived