Yes, the ultimate barber's shop does exist!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where (if you are lucky) you can spend an hour away from the politically correct world, be pampered like the king in disguise you really are. Hot towels, a real razor, a neck massage.......... you are missing one of the finer things in life
I cannot agree more. When first intorduced to Italian barbers in England, to my first days in the City, one of the little luxuries was a "real" shave.

Not sure if these still exist in the west, many I knew went when the price seemed too high for the average gent coupled with increased steralisation requirements after the Aids crisis.

....the little luxuries was a "real" shave.

Not sure if these still exist in the west, ...with increased steralisation requirements after the Aids crisis.

I'm in the southwestern US, and since AIDS became widely known, I've inquired among a half dozen-or-so barbers as to a straight-edge shave. Not ONE of them still offers it. I didn't do it often, but really enjoyed the pampering.

Says pauldm:

Hi...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

20 Baht + tip

I was just wondering, if you pay someobody only 20 baht for a haircust , what sort of tip is appropriate ? 1 baht, 2 baht 5 baht ? 50 satang ?

Don't tell anyone, 'cause I might get blamed for driving prices for farangs up, but I give him a 20 baht tip, though I don't let others in his shop see me do it. I don't want to get a reputation as a big tipper in the village.

By the way, he uses a straight razor -the same one on everybody withoiut any cleaning other than to wipe it off. I decline.

RickF

A sad but common development. Here in Canada, this attitude went on for many years, but I now see a slow return to the 'good old days.' A few of the shops are once again offering the service, including a fine Turkish barber at Vancouver International. Since one has to go the airport so many hours ahead now, his full treatment service is well worth the $$ and hour of relaxation. :grinyes:

Archived