From Shop Girl To Bar Girl. A True Story.

El_Tel

Pattaya 127, yes this is how I read the post as well. I think the poster is just sad because he thinks her life is going down hill as she enters the bar scene. I think it must be different to get to know a girl well and spend time with her before she is a bar girl and then watch her enter the scene. I think most of us only get to know them after they are in the scene.

This is quite a sad situattion in Thailand where this reasonably bright, English speaking, young girl cant find a decent job just because she doesnt have a degree. The temptation to go for easy money in the bar scene must be strong especially as she already has friends working in the bars.

What can you say. She has a kid to support and not many options. Maybe things will work out fot her anyway I understand why you feel sick in the stomach.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read the same as Pattaya127 as well. That here was a girl who would not go into the line of work and knowing the consequences is sad for her. Perhaps even a little guilt that there was something he could have done to dissuade her (not that I think he should take any responsibility for her working in a go go whatsover).

Working in a go go is not something one would wish on anyone. Those already in it, you can deal with as they're there and you didn't know them before hand. But I know I wouldn't like to have seen the whole process from non BG to BG occur. Same as I've seen other unfortunate things in this life like friends go from promising life to addict or good student to school drop out and criminal. Its sad.

As i keep repeating, I am in no way saying P127s advice is anything but correct, just putting up a 3rd option for El to consider. Not walk way, not commit. Just be the concerned human that he has been. By being her friend.

Comments about her lifestyle opportunities have been discussed at length in other threads. I read p127s response primarily as advice for El's options, not hers.

And yes, CS it is almost always sad. :(

well if you can be a friend with a NBG working 7-11 earning some B5k then why can't you be a friend with a BG earning say some B20k?

ok I can count those sort of genuine friendships on 1 hand & mostly it has been with more well of upmarket part time freelancers attending Uni & stuff...

still as you say being a friend where it may mostly be 1 way traffic & one pay for everything why not? plenty to learn from them still as thai girls not too mention life as a BG ::

I read p127s response primarily as advice ...

-----------------------------

Not sure what advice you talk about. Just commented on how I read his sick in the stomach.

CS it is almost always sad

-----------------------------

The weird thing is that it is only sad when we are away from it, but not sad enough that it would spoil the enjoyment when in the middle of it, as it seems that the comment then is rather: "Mannn! This.... is.....FUN! ....Only in Thailand!!!....".

A friend of mine is an out-and-out butterfly and has shown such concerns for an individual entering the bar scene. I am afriad that I have had difficulties understanding this.

'Butterflies', in particular, need an never-ending supply of new girls in the age range, of say 18 to 25. As the older ones drop out or become unattractive, its a necessity to have new recruits entering the scene to be available for the next conquest.

Having said this, I accept that any girl who starts working in the P4P scene will suffer loss of status and self-esteem and eventually this choice may well lead to self-destruction.

[color:"blue"] The weird thing is that it is only sad when we are away from it, but not sad enough that it would spoil the enjoyment when in the middle of it, as it seems that the comment then is rather: "Mannn! This.... is.....FUN! ....Only in Thailand!!!....".

[/color]

Not true for all P127. I always find it sad to see someone forced into a situation they do not want to be in (usually p4p) because of lack of opportunity and the irresponsible attitute of others. She is definately paying for her 'mistake' at age 14. But how about the father, or the parents, or the hiring pracices of most companies, or the gov't social net.

That is what I find sad. Always, anywhere. And yes, I have tried to talk some of the farm fresh ones into going home, or back to school. But like all the young, they feel bulletproof. This girl is not young in that sense, she didn't just come down from the village, she has skills and abilities that apparently she can't use to find a decent job. That she feels p4p is her best option for the future, and may be right, but still a sad commentary on life here. Imagine your daughter with a 9 year son, coming home and saying, "Dad, i just can't make it working at 7-11 anymore. I want my son to have things and a chance, so the only opprtunity I see is to go at Madame XXX's House for a few years. Too common here. IMO

:bow:

Not true for all P127.

---------------------------

All I am saying is that most of us have taken the WHOLE scene for granted, and the self-questionning does not make us take an individual stand against P4P and eschew it. That does not make us thoughtless in the presence of a really sad situation, but over all, there being a lot more gregariousness in the scene than sadness, we do not boycott it. I mean, if there is a problem, we are part of it too.

Archived