Legality of downloading music from the net.

Redbaron

"... I can't see any big stars going broke over this...."

Sort of my point. I blame slagging cd sales on the economy more than napster et al. Also, when the industry lowered the price of cds, sales went up. If for what ever reason I couldn't down load the songs I wanted, I would not go out and buy a cd just to get one song, let alone several albums...I'd just do without.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was an article about piracy on the radio just the other day (which inspired this thread), saying basically the music indusry is going to lower prices (maybe already has in the US) and they forecast bigger sales.. Pretty obvious to me.

They say piracy and the net are to be rewarded for that idea coming through. Looks to me the same as the petrol companies, they are simply charging what they think we will spend, not what they can afford to sell the CDs at. Royalties would bear the major cost of the reduced prices though.

In China recently a CD from a particular popular singer went on sale at $1.20 in a bid to thwart piracy. This went on sale on a Friday. By Monday morning the pirates were selling copies at 0.80c!

A point I haven't seen anyone bring up yet:

It seems the record companies are loosing sales due to the 'pandemic' spread of p2p filesharing, or so they say. But truly, when you inundate the market with inferior product, especially music or other entertainment forms, What do you expect?

I download music, and only in rare occasions, do I not already own the hard copy or purchase it immediately afterwards. I like to test drive music I am unfamiliar with and if I like it, I buy it. Or I like to have digital copies of music I already own.

The music industry needs to understand that if you push a crappy product you will have crappy sales. I can't remember the last time I bought a CD that charted above 100 on the Billboard charts.

Also, keep in mind, when the RIAA charges these fees for use of music, a very slim portion actually goes to the artist. Most of the fee goes to support the beaurocratic ctructure so that they can enforce the fee schedule.

And a few hypotheticals for you:

What if I DL an MP3, listen, and then dekete it? Am I violating the law?

What if I DL and then buy the album? Royalties have then been paid , right?

Also, what about right to privacy laws, illegal search and seizure, and wiretapping ( via the net ) implications of these cases?

Yes, the recording industry should reinvent itself provide what the public wants rather than start a fight.

So true. The record industry just doesn't want to realise the whole way that music is consumed and distributed has completely changed.

They remind me of the movie studios when the tv emerged. Instead of producing tv shows and selling their back catologue to the tv channels they started a boycot.

And would you believe it, the record companies are just as dumb. Instead of recognizing the net as a great distribution channel that can greatly reduce their costs, they just fight it.

I keep my fingers crossed for a future where bands don't need record companies anymore to produce and distribute their music. Home taping is killing music? I don't think so. If it kills the record companies, I'm all for it. :up:

I haven't bought a music CD in 4years and doubt if i ever will. A large part of the problem is that the entire distribution system of music is antiquated,obsolete and onerous to the consumer. The cost of manufacturing and distributing music has significantly decreased with the advent of the CD. Somehow the prices to purchase music have gone up, even with the use of technology, cross merchandising and consolidation in the business to reduce competition.

With the majors only producing a handful of mega acts and relying heavily on greates hits and other gimmicks, there is very few alternatives for the music lover. Commercial music has actually stifled the growth of music and the music industry because all of the majors follow the same formulaic profit making process of promoting a couple of artists, mass merchandise them, milk them dry and then cut them. You buy an $17 cd that has 15 tracks on it and there are only 2 songs you enjoy. The consumer is tired of paying a ton of money for crap!

I download alot of music/video and I can give 2 squats about intellectual property rights. I use pirated software also so maybe my morals are fucked. All I know is I save a shitload of money through piracy and will continue to do so until the option is not available to me.

Sorry but I have no sympathy for the head of Sony Music who makes $100 million a year or Britney Spears who makes $50million a year or Bill gates who is worth $50billion. They won't go hungry. It is their job to prevent their products from being pirated not mine in helping them to do it

The majors better reach a price point on their products where the average consumer doesn't want to take the time and effort downloadig and creating cd's. Eventually what will happen is that artists are gong to have a better direct distribution system to the consumer and severley cut out the costs of the current labels as middle men.

Archived