Legality of downloading music from the net.

Redbaron

Heard recently that downloading music from the internet was not only illegal, but people in Australia and the US were being prosecuted.

Anyone know if this is just another rumour? I would imagine this would be a big task for the cops as WINMX, Kaza/Lite, Audio Galaxy, the Bear one and others would have billions of members, and I imagine it would be hard (near impossible) to track down everyone.

I'm using WINMX (thanks to the other thread).. Should I leave the country? (oz)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have winMX also. Apparently some woman in the states has been prosecuted. The RIAA can look at something called an MD5 hash which is part of each MP3 file system and can tell its origin. They managed to prove she was sharing over a hundred files on her disk that were downloaded through napster.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7816

maybe I should leave the planet :shhh::eek:

Some music on the Internet can be downloaded (and shared) legally. The majority of the music available via P2P programs is copyrighted, and sharing is not legal.

RIAA is going after selected individuals in the U.S. Among their PR exploits thus far, they have prosecuted a 12 year old girl (an honour student): they settled with the girl's mother for US$2000. The chances of an occasional music downloader being prosecuted are low, but it could be very expensive if it happened. They seem to be concentrating on KAZAA users so far.

Note that there are new file sharing programs coming out that attempt to keep you anonymous. It is hard to say whether they will be effective.

>They seem to be concentrating on KAZAA users so far

Just curious, could someone briefly explain how they can track you down? I have not given away my personal details to anyone (afaik lol!). I?m using a prepaid dial up account and Kazaa Lite. Can I expect the RIAA knocking on my door? If so how will they get my address?!

As I understand it, they are/were going after the guys sharing i.e. giving it away...could be wrong. So far, a 12 year old girl, was prosecuted. Her mom, a single parent is trying to raise 2 kids in public housing, and these assholes go after her. Mean while Enron, WOrld Com and United airlines scum are screwing thousands and getting away with it!

Says Old Hippie:

As I understand it, they are/were going after the guys sharing i.e. giving it away...could be wrong. So far, a 12 year old girl, was prosecuted. Her mom, a single parent is trying to raise 2 kids in public housing, and these assholes go after her. Mean while Enron, WOrld Com and United airlines scum are screwing thousands and getting away with it!

The "Media" always goes for the throat, and in this case it may seem harsh, but for the most part the alleged criminals are normal everyday people who feel that it is a victimless crime, but a crime never the less.

Really not much different than walking into a store and stealing a bunch of CD's, but being able to do it from the safety of your home somehow makes it ok.

>Really not much different than walking into a store and stealing a bunch of CD'

and others might see it more like listening to some one else?s copy of a CD they bought from a store and lent to a friend of a friend etc.. or just listening to a track on the radio and keeping a copy of it for oneself.... hardly worth putting the troops on the street for.

Personally I'm undecided on this and will continue to grab music from the net whilst I can...

I think you hit the nail on the head. Many people don't seem to be able to manage the concept that its the sound or noise that you are paying for and not the medium its delivered on like an LP, cassette or CD.

Now people seem to be able to grasp other intangibles so I think it may be a case of cognative dissonance for many people. I'm not arguing on behalf of the record companies, but when you buy something that comes with a contract you should abide buy the contract. If people actually stopped buying music because they didn't understand or accept the terms of use the recording industry would change their tune quick.

No doubt it will take considerable time for even westerners to accept the idea of 'intellectual property'. But it is the fastest growing and most lucrative area of the legal profession in America at this time. People will eventually have to adjust to the concept that one can own things that are not physical. Or pay the consequences.

Archived