Using "Polite" Language

Pescator

[color:"red"] to which I replied with 'uhhh' [/color]

I was brought up that only older people (or seemingly superior people - I lack of a better word here) have the right to use "uhhh", and at hope my mother is the only can use it because she is the oldest!

None of my Thai friends uses it, normally they use "ja" with people who are younger or workers. I use "Kha" all the time and "ja" a bit here and there. I find it easier to drag the words a little bit to make it softer when I am confuse about using "kha" or "ja", and no need to end the sentences with any "kha/krup/ja", it sure is better tha "uhhh", IMO.

I find many Thais (regular) seem not to use polite Thai with many "farangs" who try to use Thai and I don't know why, perhaps some of you guys can answer, please?

I find it better to be polite but don't really have to accept impolite words.

Jasmine

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] Have to admit that, if a government official pisses me off (using bad language on me for instance), I may respond in kind, just so he knows where we both stand. This can at times be the case with those of lower rank, trying to impose their not so high government status, and thinking perhaps that I the farang am ignorant of the fact. Well tough luck in that case, because here's a farang who isn't.

[/color]

I am gald to hear that you could counter these "acting so big" officials. I know what you mean about these people with chips on the shoulders, their ego needs to be checked once in a while. :onfire:

Jasmine

>>I am gald to hear that you could counter these "acting so big" officials. I know what you mean about these people with chips on the shoulders, their ego needs to be checked once in a while<<

It appears that its only the lower ranks that resort to "acting big". Guess they need it to elevate their humble status. what does piss me off that such acts often result in simple people not geeting the job done properly; send from one official to another without reason etc.

Once you get to the higher ups this problem is not there. They tend to be polite. But simple villagers never get to them, they're stuck at the front desk.

Hi,

Regarding 'uhhh'

I think you need to look at the people I am talking to. Obviously I do not use 'uhhh' in the office or with people I do not know.

But, upcountry with simple countryfolk I think this is perfectly acceptable, especially since they all do the exact same thing. They even refer to each other using 'gu', 'muang' and 'man' (which I do not use btw, unless I am pissed off at someone :) ).

Basically different language for different occasions.

Sanuk!

PS Don't tell me you never use 'huh?' or 'uh-huh' in English? :)

> I find many Thais (regular) seem not to use polite Thai with many "farangs"

> who try to use Thai and I don't know why, perhaps some of you guys can

> answer, please?

Maybe you should spend less time in bars? ;-)

I don't find this at all. Then again I don't live in Bangkok.

Cheers,

Chanchao

[color:"red"] PS Don't tell me you never use 'huh?' or 'uh-huh' in English?

[/color]

I do with Hubby and close friends, not a common word in the office for me.

However, KS, I don't feel that it has the same context as "uhhh" in Thai, what do you think?

Talking about "'gu', 'muang' and 'man', many of my Thai male friends use those amongst themselves. Sometimes women use them too, but I have not been around such group.

My nephew uses them with his friends but switches words right away with his parents and elders and with his little sister.

I think that as long as ones know how to use them, it is ok, also you are right many folks upcountry use them as everyday's terminology and don't mean to be rude. I like talking to older people up-country and to tell the truth, none ever used " 'gu', 'muang' and 'man' with me.

I have heard the word "eng" = "you" used though and many called themselves like "Lung", "Yai" or whatever. The word "man", IMO, is very common for elders to call children, at least where I am from and it is not intended to be impolite, but it bothers me when strangers called some people they don't know as "man".

Jasmine

Hi,

"However, KS, I don't feel that it has the same context as "uhhh" in Thai, what do you think?"

Dunno. It feels pretty much the same to me.

"I like talking to older people up-country and to tell the truth, none ever used " 'gu', 'muang' and 'man' with me."

Same here. They all even use 'khun' with me, or 'phii' / 'luung' depending on who is doing the speaking.

"but it bothers me when strangers called some people they don't know as "man"."

Fully agree, and I would get seriously pissed off if I overheard someone refering to me like that.

Sanuk!

IMHO: I would stick with the polite Thai, even in the face of someone being rude. When motorcycle guys, govt' officials, whatever, begin to drop the "khrup" or "ka", I simply emphasize my "khrap" even more, they usually get the hint, and loose some face in front of their peers. Frankly, polite Thai is usually returned with polite Thai or very polite Thai in my experience. On very rare occasions, I will switch to impolite or downright rude Thai. This is so infrequent, that Thais with me are astounded I know it. Occasions include, someone blatantly insulting me (in which case I will generally use the same level of insult back -- for instance using goo or man while conversing with me -- almost never happens), or, telling a street kid to fuck off when my patience with them is at an end -- happens a bit too much these days.)

I don't know if others have had this expeince, but once in a while I will slip a bad word into a coversation with a BG, it almost always draws a very negative reaction.

As for Isaan dialects, I have no idea. Don't have a Thai wife and have only been to Surin once, where the family only spoke with me in polite Thai. Frankly, I am a long way form trying to master Lao or another dialect. Properly learining written Thai, I mean beyond the literate level, has become one of the biggest nightmares ever. It only gets more and more complicated.

Archived