Unlimited GPRS promotion from DTAC?

steffi

I met a gentleman at Coffee World Silom last week and he told me that DTAC are currently running an unlimited GPRS promotion for 1000thb per month.

Anybody know anything about this? I cannot find anything about it

on their web site.

He was using T610 with an ibook but I've got a 68i which can do the same thing. The thought of having an internet connection anywhere there's a strong GPRS signal appeals to me.

I find this awfully appealing but just how good is GPRS? If it is as good as dial up conenction, then that is good enough for me. Is there anything one can't do online using GPRS, or any weaknesses in accessing the net via GPRS say compared to a good dial uip connection (which is what I currently use).

Stick

Overall my GPRS experience has been nowhere near as good as an unlimited access dial up that connects at 50.4kb. My GPRS connects at 40kb max reportedly but it seems slower sometimes - I'm using a hp conencted via IR to a PC. It?s certainly faster than the 9.6kb dial up access of a modem cell phone however. I have elected not to join these unlimited plans and just use it pay as you go whenever I cannot get near a land line. That costs nothing to join now.

INET Thailand is starting to offer broadband access.

INET

Still very expensive. I was using Asia Infonet unlimited ISDN for about 4,000 per month but that was really not worth it so I stop using it. Still haven't found anything better for about 2,000 / month yet.

My bluetooth connects at 115 kbps, but I don't notice it to be any quicker than normal dial up, and you end up paying 3 baht per minute on top of the normal ISP connections.

I need to research how to set up the laptop / bluetooth / nokia to use GPRS and see how that would work.

Cheers!

I have post about this before ;)

its unlimited, what you would be interested in, is that they charge you per transfer 5baht 1kb (you have 3-4 packages 1mb, 5mb, 10mb, 15mb per month), if you go over this limit, each kb is 5baht soo only to download your email

you will be lighter for 100-200baht.

There is something, unlimited ADSL trough wireless network

ego e-go!? I saw this promotion at Siam, last week.

8,000Baht for 1 month, 64kbit/sec.

>8,000Baht for 1 month, 64kbit/sec.

So, correct me if I am mistaken, but basically all these plans GPRS, wireless, broadband are very expensive compared to dial up land lines for home use? I have enough trouble reading web sites at download speeds of 56kb, what is point of wireless or broadband unless you have some huge data to download or need to access something wireless on the road ? rarely perhaps?

> So, correct me if I am mistaken, but basically all these plans GPRS, wireless, broadband are very expensive compared to dial up land lines for home use? I have enough trouble reading web sites at download speeds of 56kb, what is point of wireless or broadband unless you have some huge data to download or need to access something wireless on the road ? rarely perhaps?

yes wireless broadband is definitly more expensive.

Mobile users need it, business people, who wanna trade stocks in starbucks, ppl that dont always have access to fixed phone line, people that want prestige..etc..

Well, I don't have broadband access yet, but I sure would like to. I hate waiting for these web pages to load. Imagine being able to click and have all pages even web pages full of graphics almost instantly load. Sounds good to me. But I haven't felt like spending the extra money on it yet.

Hi Mongatu,

Imagine being able to click and have all pages even web pages full of graphics almost instantly load

Just don`t expect that to happen with this site.

Nanaplaza loads very slowly no matter how fast your connection is. I have a 2 MB line.

One is also dependant of the speed and capacity of the servers that host the websites you want to see. And generally thai servers are pretty slow comp. to servers located abroad.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived