explorations off the beaten path?

hawaiijohn

As I approach my 7th trip to Thailand, I am interested in exploring new, off the beaten path types of places and establishments, particularly in Bangkok (though this is not meant to imply dangerous or illicit activities). The idea is to get a better feel for the diversity of the Bangkok experience. Any suggestions?

Some friends have talked of Samlong in Samut prakkan, for a different BKK feel. Especially at night....NO!!!!!!!!! :::o

There are tons of neighboroods, something may be going on or not, I remember an afternooon in Chinatown, just hearing some music, and ending up in a little soi, where a chinese opera was being staged, and a piglet slowly cooking inside th little soi temple.

Some parts of Klong toey, the docks, can be interesting to wander around. Backtrack when you start seeing more lugubrious stares than smiles....

I am always surprised that so few have down a little river trip. These, I alwys found great, a good one is the Klong noi trip, and you can stop anywhere you want, while waiting for another fast public boat to come back. Really a different feel, you may know already. Do not do like me, going too late, then seeing no boat to take you back, as the sun sets ::. had to take a taxi to nearest highway, and hop on a bus back to the city, then a taxi again. Whatever, it's always fun to get stranded in LOS as one is never quite lost.

As suggested, just roaming around Chinatown can be fun. There are surprises around every corner. Or instead of going to the Grand Palace -- presuming you've been there -- go to the Klong Lot area just east of it. Lots of shops selling dead pawn, handicrafts, all sorts of odds and ends. (Also, got streetwalkers, but they are pretty rough!) Or hop the river boat at the Sathorn end and ride the orange flag boat all the way up to Nonthaburi for just 10 baht. Get off in Nonthaburi for lunch, then ride the boat back again.

Plenty of things to do in the day time. If you can't think of anything else, wander around Chatuchak market or go to Siam Square and ogle the cute teens hanging out there. You also might like to visit Pahurat, the Indian part of town -- with some GREAT Injun restaurants. (I like the Royal India best.)

Says orandanodes:

Hi,

Have a look at

Bicycle tours in and around Bangkok, taking you to places you never though existed in this city.

I tried one of those trips. For 1000B you get to ride a really ancient bike around Kloengtoey and in to the jungle on the other side of Chao Praya for 4-5 hours. Quite a nice trip indeed.

The enterprising Dutchman leading the group must be making a fortune. 20+ persons (mostly western ladies) gives him 20K+ baht with almost no overhead. Heck, for that price I was sure we were going to stop at a restaurant and get some decent food. But no, some bottle of water of the cheapest brand, a couple of bananas, some rambutang, and one microscopic bag of potato chips was all we was given. Is that tight or what?

Paillote

Off the beaten path.

Just going in to the back-sois of Bangkok will show you the face of a different city. Village-like, quiet, rice fields and of course, the inevitable, the enourmous houses of the rich (and suddenly you understand why the upper-echelons of society is quite happy to keep it status quo).

This of course requires your own mode of transportation but can also be done by foot. I particularly recommend the area east of Sukhumvit 71, around Klong Prakanong (which is also the only area in BKK which I know very, very well).

Tip for a day. Take the sky-train to Onnut station, hail a win motosai (motorcycle taxi) and steer yourself to the site of The Legend of Mae Prakanong (one of the most famous ghosts in Thailand). Or if you're on a budget, take the baht-bus, 4 baht a ride. It's a wee bit up Sukhumvit 77, just where the first bend of the road ends and to the left. Look for the store selling flowers etc in orange buckets along 77 and go into the adjacent soi. The site in itself isn't much to see perhaps but interesting as a clear evidence of that Thais still take their ghosts seriously. What's nice about this area though is the klong and the houses on the other side of the canal. These houses don't have road access at all and life truly goes on at a different pace here. It's as far from the Governments dreams of a New Singapore as you can come. No bloody Benz dealerships around here, I tell you. I suggest jumping into one of the boats and go either way on the klong. Old folks here work as klong taxis in row boats, 3 baht, but there are alsop motorized klong buses; 5 baht unlimited. It's a nice experience, like going back a century in a time-machine :)

Tip 2 for a day. As already mentioned by Paillote, the Phra Pradaeng half-island on the other side of the Klong Toey port is also a nice experience. There are several ferry connections to go there. A good idea would be to see the port area and parts of Klong Toey. (Everybody ought to see 'Nakhon Klong Toey' at least once -- the biggest slum area in Bangkok with a population of 30.000-50.000 people.) So, try to catch the small ferry at the river side wat, Sukhumvit Soi 103. The ferry is, I believe, 5 baht. When going back, take the line ferry at Phra Pradaeng district office which connects to Samut Prakans "Pucahao Saming Prai Rd". It's easiest the messiest ferry spot in this part of the World -- if not THE World. A disaster waiting to happen. Loads of flat ferries are running in chaos among oil tankers & what not. Truly a sight to be seen: National Geographic stuff, if you're a photographer!

About Phra Pradaeng, from BKK Riders Home Page:

Just across the river from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok, the area encircled by a large bent of the Chao Phraya River is still mostly undeveloped. Replete with palm trees, a sanctuary for small animals and insects if you carefully look for them.

This area is technically under the administration of Samut Prakan Province, thus you can see samlors pedaling around, which have been banned in Bangkok for the past few decades.

Its wilderness and rustic population give you a sense of time trip by 30 years. There are numerous narrow roads and sois, which you may want to explore.

Bring your lunch if you're not accustomed to local food-stalls.

There are several temples in the area, some of which are located along the Chao Phraya River.

Archived