Who will win the 2003 RUGBY WORLD CUP ?

gobbledonk

Says Johnny Was:

No the Aussies were not robbed...

Not only were they not robbed, if any team were robbed, it was England, by a number of baffling decisions by the Saffa referee. Apparently, he reads a different rulebook where any team actually trying to win a scrum gets penalised. :dunno: And offsides never get punished, unless the team infringing is playing in white strip with a red rose on it... What was he on?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says lazyphil:

--truth is I have no interest in rugby whatsoever ...
:o
--its just a bit less tedious than cricket!

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/page.news.php3?clid=13&id=103991&usrsess=1

Real men prefer rugby to soccer and other namby-pamby sports

Published on Nov 23, 2003

Thank god for the Rugby World Cup ? at last we have a top level sporting activity which demonstrates fitness, skill, athletic prowess and good old blood, sweat and tears. After putting up with joke activities such as Scottish football, namby pamby cricket, and posing prima donna soccer, the rugby has brought about much relief and reinvigorated my belief that there is still, after all, hope for a real sporting activity in this world.

Old rugger

VIA E-MAIL

Hi Johnny,

Did you guys in Thailand get the Australian commentary for the final ? I had thought that there would be commentary teams from England, and possibly France, but it seems that our Channel 7 had exclusive telecast rights ($$$). Whether they onsold them is another matter.

If it was all the same commentary, any overdubs/subtitles for foreign markets would have been hilarious : whilst none of the commentators are as 'blokey' as Steve Irwin, it definitely had an Aussie flavour to it, along with frequent references to stuff that only *dedicated* Rugby fans would understand ('rolling maul' was explained throughout the tournament, but not once in the Final). All-in-all, I enjoyed the commentary more than I do when they televise the British Premier League matches here in Oz, but I wondered if we may have lost something in the translation ?

Perhaps we should have used the famous Brit Rugby commentator who repeatedly comes up with classics such as 'He was running around behind the pack shouting Come inside me, come inside me !- he likes it when they do that !' ::

Yeah, we got the Aussie commentary here in Thailand. To be honest I didn't think that it was as one sided as in other matches and especially the Tri-Nations when it is plucky little Aussie up against the might of NZ and SA. In such a tight, exciting game it would have been hard for anyone to be impartial and they did spot the impending drop goal when the rest of us did, comfortably before God received the pass.

As for the ref, I refrained from commenting to avoid being accused of being a smart arse whinging pom, but there were a few odd decisions including one bizarre forward pass that wasn't. I expect the Aussies could point to a few decisions that didn't go their way too. Didn't affect the result though, and that is what matters.

i'm no expert,rarely watch Ruggers but what you say is true according to the views of the English Players.

in the Media today it has been said that the England Players were annoyed by the decision by the Ref to award a Pen against England in the 79th minute.

it seems England had never had a Pen awarded against them in a scrum situation all tournament and suddenly 6 in the Final?.

i don't know a lot about this but is this the case?.

but i also read that Southern Hemisphere Refs have a little different view of the rules to the Northern Hemisphere ones?.

but i see the hype has gone into overdrive in the UK.

Wilkinson and Woodward should be Knighted and Woodward should take over the Football team and England would surely win the World Cup next time under his Leadership....both these ideas are a crock of shit..... :doah:

but i see the hype has gone into overdrive in the UK.

Wilkinson and Woodward should be Knighted and Woodward should take over the Football team and England would surely win the World Cup next time under his Leadership....both these ideas are a crock of shit

Cheer up, Sayjann - you *know* that something like this is going to bring every nutter out of the woodwork ! Its no worse than people suggesting the sportsmen run for political office after a big win, and should be seen in the same vein. As for the media, the less said about those buffoons, the better. Its often been said that *our* media exalts winners and savages the same people when they fall from grace, but I reckon they are second-stringers when it comes to the London scandal sheets in that regard. Imagine the front pages if England had failed to come home with that Cup ...

• 1 month later...

Can''t they just move on :doah:

The Queen has rushed through new years honours list ....for the Whole F.....ing team.

All to get an MBE except little Johnny (has one ) so gets OBE Captain Martin has as well so gets CBE....The Coach.

Is Now SIR Clive.

Come on guys give it a rest ...was only a game :neener:

i think the awards are a joke.

not the Queen who rushed things through,but Blair.

makes him look good and hoping for votes.

in Years gone by you got an award like this for doing something admirable.

my Stepfather died in a Hospice and i got to know a woman who had worked there for 37 years.

she was nominated for her work and care,but again she was turned down for the most trivial award.

but some bloke sitting in a box watching a game of Rugby gets a Knighthood.

that is a national disgrace to me and the main reason i will never vote for any of the Parties in this Country.

it is about time all this crap/bullshit was stopped.

Archived