Who will win the 2003 RUGBY WORLD CUP ?

gobbledonk

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says Peter1964:

Yep, things can happen. Have a good time on the board!
:neener:

From someone, whose country not even has a rugby team, great tournament and great game!
:up:
Congrats to England!

Hi

Yes the best team won on the night...the good news is they and the 40K fans all go home on Monday :neener:

Not sour grapes..but we wuz robbed ::

as i said not a fan,but i managed to watch most of the game.

couldn't have been scripted better with Jonno scoring with a Drop Goal seconds from the end.

a good physical game with both teams striving to get that all-important 2nd Try which would have made the game safe.

England made a lot of mistakes and twice dropped the ball when a Try looked odds-on.

but the moment which won the game for England IMO was when the Aussie was stopped by Robinson? a couple of Yards from the line with a couple of minutes left and that would have won the game for the Aussies.

20-1 for the draw and 66-1 for the HT-FT result... :cussing:

Somehow the previous title of

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie... BANZAI!!!!

seems somewhat inappropriate.

What a game! Missed most of the first 60 minutes (followed the BBC on the Net) while working the grief shift covering some cactus filled c%#t who thought it would be a cute time to study the game.

Joined the lads at the pub after half time thinking England would have run away with the match only to find the Wallabies had rallied to trail 14-11.

The rest was a Hollywood script with real heroes rather than Kaneau Reeves beating another 400 aliens (wanker!)

Congrats to England, the better team on the day and for the last few years. :bow: :bow: :bow:

:onfire: :banghead: :banghead: :cussing::help:

The weather meant it was never going to be a classic, but it was engrossing and very tight. What fascinated me was the mirror image of 1966. An equaliser in the dying moments of normal time, and then England winning in extra time. England scoring again at the death to win it today. In 1966 scoring again at the death to clinch it after leading in extra time with 3 "goal".

We wuz robbed

No, TB - we were beaten by a better pack of forwards. Phil, pull your head in, mate - England were THE form side in the 2 years leading up to the World Cup, and the only team which gave them a serious scare were 22 guys who had previously been written off by virtually ALL the 'experts' in the weeks leading up to the Final. Watching them hand over so MUCH possession via lineouts and scrums last night, I remain surprised that it was so very close in the end : who would have predicted extra time ? Flatley's first conversion attempts only needed to be centimetres to the right and it could have even been a Wallaby victory (to be fair, Wilkenson missed a couple, too).

Congratulations to the England side and their extremely committed supporters. How many Aussies would fly to the other side of the world in expectation of one of our teams making the final of a sporting contest ? 3,000 ? England had over 30,000 screaming fans packing the rafters with a sea of white, and singing their hearts out. 'Aussie. Aussie, Aussie' was nowhere to be heard ....

I consider myself doubly privileged this weekend - in addition to witnessing a titanic struggle last night, I woke early this morning to watch the 3rd Rugby League test from Huddersfield. Again, the Aussies were down on the scoreboard, but this was a different game - the Kangaroos were coming home with the Ashes regardless of the outcome, and Gt Britain were fighting to salvage some pride after losing the first two Test matches in the last 5 minutes of the game.

After a season of 50-point mismatches and a patchy Origin series, it was great to see a game of League that was so close and so incredibly hard fought. I'm not sure what the Brits are doing with their forwards (in both codes), but these guys are HUGE and enormously fit : a stark contrast to previous years. Some of the hits taken by players on both sides would have had the World Cup crowd oohing and aahing. After dominating the majority of the game, Gt Britain only needed to survive the final 5 minutes to take the game 12-6 : salt into Aussie wounds on a hungover Sunday morning. Just as Jonny Wilkenson had done some 12 hours earlier, Darren Lockyer stepped up and put his stamp on the game. The British commentators, lost for superlatives, were left with 'Surely one of the all-time greats of the game', just as their Downunder colleagues had been the previous night in Sydney when Wilko let that magnificent right foot kick go. Final score: Aust 18 - Gt Britain 12.

Dredging up a win in an obscure code played only in the North (they're different in the North, arent they ?) of England and isolated parts of Europe may seem like a *lame* comeback to the England victory in a game watched by several hundred million last night, but the result isnt what I'm on about. Its the joy of watching superb athletes, completely out on their feet, reach deep and find something special in the dying moments of a game.

Long after both games have been forgotten, the images from the last 24 hours will remain emblazoned on young minds. As I type this, I'm sure there are eight-year old boys all over the world dreaming of running onto the field for their respective countries : the difference is that they no longer want to be David Beckham. Long live Rugby, in all its wonderful manifestations !

Hi Sayjann,

Ah, the wisdom of hindsight :)

Its funny looking at those odds now - the silence from the sea of white when Tuqiri soared high to score that first try, and the roar when Jonny followed the script that England had written for themselves when they set out on the long road to the World Cup two years ago.

To those tired and *hungover* Brits who will soon make their way to the airport for the long flight home, thanks for making World Cup 2003 a truly memorable event. See you in 2007 !

Archived