Moving to Thailand in November!!!????!!!????***

Matt--Most of your posts mention money, costs and how you can live cheaply.

You might want to learn what "farang kee-nio" means.

Not being able to live it up and spend somewhat freely in LOS doesn't sound too appealing :(

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mnvinaz

Well you've had all the negative bastards give you the common sense routine and if you listened to them you'd never leave safe, comfortable San Francisco. Sounds like your heat is set on Thailand so go for it. Bring you're IT resume with you (and a spare English teaching one to boot).

Keep an open mind and above all a good attitude (after a while many things in Thailand may annoy you but keep your attitude positive and you can make tihngs happen for you Im sure).

Good luck and dont let the negative bastards on this board bring you down. The world is full of people telling you what cant be done but if it's something you really want and you set your mind to it you can find a way.

Alright.......let me get back to basics.

This trip is about learning the Asian culture, learning Thai food, learning to Wai, seeing the temples, finding out where Penang is, elephant football, beaches, snorkeling, learning about a foreign government, learning what Thai people think of the USA, Asian Art, learning to free myself of the need for material things, having a happy memory when I am ten years older, being more worldly...it's about challenging myself and pushing things to the Max, it's about Ying and Yang.

It is not about impressing anybody....and if I'm labelled cheap on the internet, I will not shed a tear. Called cheap and looked down at by another farang in the bar because I live on Soi 71 and can't afford to bop girls every other day, then that's when things get rough.

Let's try to be more of a part of the solution huh. I really don't have time for anything else any longer.

Says steffi:

Are you sure about that? Usually when flying to Asia it is possible to have an opened ended return date in order to avoid the $100 charge. Any airline that tells you otherwise simply wants to increase the chances you have to change your date by having you locked in to begin with.

[color:"brown"] I am sure that the EVA representative told me that all tickets must have a return date, no open ended tickets (in my fare class anyway) were allowed, and all tickets were good up to one year [/color]

Anyone have any ideas about how to bring money over there.

I have a debit card/Visa card with an internet Bank here in the States. I hear there is no problem using ATM machines, but have some backup cash incase. Should I bring some travellers checks and spread them about my luggage so if I got robbed I would only lose one backup?

I've heard the ATMs give the best exchange rate, do you guys agree? If not, where can you find the best exchange rate?

having a happy memory when I am ten years older
If that is all you get out of your trip then that's plenty, it will have been worthwhile. I still have vivid, happy recollections of spending the better part of a winter twenty years ago when I was in my late twenties on an island staying in a 100baht bungalow a sweet Thai girl I'd met in Bangkok with me. That bungalow was torn down long ago and is now a resort.

I have no clue of how much income I didn't earn that winter and I've never cared, never regretted.

On money!

I bring 500 to 1k US in my wallet another 10,000bht in notes...I have 1 to 2 thousand TC in 100's. I keep 2 atm/debt cards and 2 visa cards...I keep all in my wallet. Except the TC I keep in my BC. I photo copy all TC receipts and leave in my SUV...friends have keys if i need them.

When in LOS I never use US$$cash or the TC's this is only back up if a problem arises. I have cash on hand if needed...locked in my box at the front desk or in my safe in the room. I use my atm/debt for Bht runs and use my visa for all hotel check in and out! I reco to never use an ATM/debt for anything outside of cash runs...have a friend who lost 3,000 US due to a thai accessing his # after shopping. Also, with usage of V/MC you have protection and help if problems arise. You can pay off balances on-line and move money easy. Make sure you check all your expiration dates so none expire while in LOS. You might want 2 of a card so to avoid any aTm's eating or destroying you magnetic strip and you having any problems getting money.

Best of luck,

SB

I think it's all about cheap women and booze. Strangely no mention of them. How quickly we sell out our IT dreams for a English teaching job. And you haven't even left. ::

Archived