Moving to Thailand in November!!!????!!!????***

I lived in Bangkok for about a year; never again. I hated living in a studio. The air pollution was awful. Too frickin hot. The people started to really drive me nuts. Took forever to get anywhere. Culture? What culture. Not for me.

And now, we vacation in Los every year for about a month and have a great time. No need to play that silly visa run game and be a 2nd class citizen with little or no rights. Spend very little time in Bkk. Truly awful, ugly city.

To each his own---- :p

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are these places? >>>>>>>>>>To get another 60 day visa you must go to a Thai embassy/consulate in a foreign country. Current choices are Penang, Vientiane and Phenom Phen.>>>>>>>. How do I get to them?

I hear they almost always give you a 30 day extension on your visa.

I will setup in a somewhat cheap hotel in Bangkok for a while and do some serious apartment searching for a couple of weeks if it takes that long. I'm getting some leads on good apts, still unsure if living far away from the Sky trian is do-able, maybe cheaper, but I may be too isolated.

I've collected some really good bottles of wine, I love the stuff. I had thought about bringing one bottle and opening it when I get to Thailand, but decided not because of the weight, and that I would have to carry a corkscrew.I've heard you can only carry one bottle of wine with you into thailand, do any of you know if that is true? if you guys like wine, and I can bring more than a bottle, If I bring some, maybe someone can HOLD on to them for me when I'm travelling initially. We'll crack one now and again.

The latest plan of action is this.

Oct 28th Fly to Tokyo

Oct 28th to Nov 4th, stay with friends in tokyo. WOO HOO WWOOO HOO WOOO I can't wait to see Tokyo, staying at the friends house, all will be paidfor.

Nov 4th, fly to Bangkok.

Here's where it gets fuzzy......

Stay in Bangkok for about 4-5 Days. Then...get the Hell out of Bangkok fast.

Nov 9th, travel down south for a week, maybe Hau Hin, stay in cheap bungalo and hit beach and snorkel, hopefuly with beautiful Thai girl with me, if no girl.........then theres no gal.

Nov 16th, Head back to Bangkok. Stay for a few days, look for apartments. GET BUISNESS CARDS(possible cell phone) IF I HAVEN"T ALREADY!!!!!!!!

Nov 19th Head to Chang Mai, Chill, relax, talk with locals, maybe rent a motor cycle and do some touring around. i'm not sure how long I will stay in Chang Mai.

Back to Bangkok, get apartment, live frugally and hope that devine intervention lands me a job.

Matt

Say i was to eat street food all the time, What kind of breakfast would I expect to have. I'm not thinking they serve grapenuts and OJ.

Did I tell you guys I make kick ass Thai food, i would say I make Thai food better than many restaruants I've eaten at.

I searched for three years to find galangal just so I could make curries from scratch, beleive me... there's no galangal in Arizona.

you know what's great with hot Thai food..... a great sweet white wine. it's almost perfection.

Of course, hauling a Budweiser out of a cooler filled with ice on a super hot day is also prefection.

%^$&*$ Roger Clemens.

Says mnvinaz:

What kind of breakfast would I expect to have.

The local fair for breakfast is 'khao tom' -- rice soup. :) It's a bit difficult to muster up enthusiasm for that dish although it's not bad with something to go with it....for example 'kai kem' (salted duck eggs). Though I'd take a full english breakfast any day in exchange...

Says mnvinaz:
[color:"red"] Where are these places? [/color] >>>>>>>>>>To get another 60 day visa you must go to a Thai embassy/consulate in a foreign country. Current choices are Penang, Vientiane and Phenom Phen.>>>>>>>. [color:"red"] How do I get to them? [/color]

[color:"blue"] Since you are travelling halfway around the world, a map might be an investment. Nah, forget it, rip the destination guide out of the airline magazine [/color]

I hear they almost always give you a 30 day extension on your visa. [color:"red"] USED to be true [/color]

I will setup in a somewhat cheap hotel in Bangkok for a while and do some serious apartment searching for a couple of weeks if it takes that long. I'm getting some leads on good apts, still unsure if living far away from the Sky trian is do-able, maybe cheaper, but I may be too isolated.

I've collected some really good bottles of wine, I love the stuff. I had thought about bringing one bottle and opening it when I get to Thailand, but decided not because of the weight, and that I would have to carry a corkscrew. [color:"red"] As long as it is smaller than your checked luggage it should be OK. Unless you are coming here to live with only a carry on. Then buy one at 7-11.[/color] I've heard you can only carry one bottle of wine with you into thailand, do any of you know if that is true? [color:"red"] no, bring all you pack :grinyes: [/color] if you guys like wine, and I can bring more than a bottle, If I bring some, maybe someone can HOLD on to them for me when I'm travelling initially. We'll crack one now and again. [color:"red"]Hell of an idea :beer: [/color]

I've heard you can only carry one bottle of wine with you into thailand, do any of you know if that is true?

------------------

Never had or heard of anyone having their luggages checked arriving. The problem is, how do you keep the wine in a climate like BKK, not to mention a good bottle does not take traveling too well. White wine Ok for fridge, but red wine?

[color:"blue"]I'm not thinking they serve grapenuts and OJ. [/color]

Fresh, REAL juice everywhere. Pancakes, granola at all the backpacker spots. Thia pancakes Kanoms and omeletes on the street, noodle soup and rice or noodles everywhere all the time, have some Joke when you're ready :grinyes:

Where are these places? >>>>>>>>>>To get another 60 day visa you must go to a Thai embassy/consulate in a foreign country. Current choices are Penang, Vientiane and Phenom Phen

I got a great World atlas that doesn't list Penang or Phenom Phen. The closest I see is Panjang in Indonesia, and That Phenom in Thailand? Are we talking apples and apples??

I imagine there is a train to Vientiane. Looking forward to the trip. Where's the place in Cambodia to get a visa??? I have to visit there once. I'll hire one of you as a body guard.

[color:"red"] [/color]

I got a great World atlas that doesn't list Penang or Phenom Phen. The closest I see is Panjang in Indonesia, and That Phenom in Thailand? Are we talking apples and apples??

I imagine there is a train to Vientiane. Looking forward to the trip. Where's the place in Cambodia to get a visa??? I have to visit there once. I'll hire one of you as a body guard.

[color:"red"] [/color]

You store...I pour. Six great bottles of superb Californian wines. I got a French Rhone wine that is incredible also. Can't wait to try it. I have about three great Merlot's, and one Zin, I'll even pick up a kick ass white to go with some Thai food. Of course you know, that this will also cost you entire night of drinking.

Freakin duck eggs man..............you're one sick pup....my god........ ahahahahahah

can't wait to try em. Actually looking forward to trying them.

I tried pigs feet a couple nights ago, I'd rather have smoked bacon.....BACON BY FAR. Chinese chicks will eat anything. God love em.

Anyone know how much baggage you can bring on the airline? I'm thinking one large suitcase, and one large carryon.

Tell me about the floating markets????????????????????

This wines kicking in...........get me on the plane man...........................enlightenment through alcohol..........

Here's an email I got back from a group of people I emailed.

Hi Matt,

I loved your email(not that you will be leaving)...

It had that British Colonial/Imperialist tone to it...

"I say, chaps... Let's hold the volley until 30 yards and give them what for!" (Matt at the Islawhanda Battle, immediately before his guns were overrun by 3000 screaming Zulus).

"I say chaps... Looks like I'm off for a jaunt in Thailand."

No explanation. No embellishment. No details. Just "going to Thailand, see ya"?

Pray tell, what could possibly be compelling you to move to Thailand (I won't mention the very, very loose prostitution laws).

(sorry to see you go... you gotta do what you gotta do).

Pete

HERES MY REPLY

Hahaha, looking back at the email, you are definitely right about my prior email being casual. With so much to do right now I rarely double check my emails before I send them, that's if I get around to sending them at all. We'll today is reply to email day.

Why the move to Thailand. Well I was super drunk when I decided to sell all my stuff and buy airline tickets, and there's no turning back now. Just kidding.

I think the main reason for me trying to move to Thailand is that I have the opportunity to do so right now in my life.

The long time girlfriend and I parted ways somewhat recently, and the contract job I was in just ended. During my long stint of unemployment last year I use to play basketball with a couple of guys from China, we talked quite a bit about me moving to Beijing, and it has continued to be on my mind that I would like to take a great adventure in some far off land. Doing some research I came to find that Thailand is much cheaper to live in than China, and with the stack of cash I have saved I can live there for a while comfortably. Thailand also has a large expat community that may be able to help a person like me find work. I figure right now I will hole up in a different country for at least a couple of years and wait out this recession the USA and San Francisco is in(Although I see the market is improving here). Thailand has also been the place I am most interested to visit in the world, and since it may be do-able to survive there, I'm willing to take the chance. A dream of mine would be to have a nice bungalow sitting on some beautiful beach and a sailboat, although this is a long shot, I probably have a better chance of that happening in Thailand.

So in a nut shell, that is the reason I am moving. Yes it is somewhat crazy, yes there is a chance that I cannot find work and it will turn into a long vacation, yes I am burning some bridges, but they are small bridges that can be mended back together. I think it is my calling right now to do something different and forget about trying to make my life safe and secure and repetitious and normal. I'm looking for something better, and although it may not happen, I'm willing to take the chance. Believe me though; I am scared out of my wits about this move.

Matt

Archived