Moving to Thailand in November!!!????!!!????***

"Someone please tell me something beautiful about that country!!!!"

LOL! That bit is easy to find. That is why I am being a bit cynical (I say realistic) with the budget. Thailand and it's people are beautiful and friendly. Moreso than any other place in the world. It is this that draws people here and causes them to lose their minds trying to stay.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall, well said. However, I found just one thing suspect. You say you are trying to root out misonformation, yet you say:

6. COMING CHANGES IN VISA LAWS - The fact is, starting next July all of the poor farangs are going to get the boot. To remain here you are going to need to a) have a work permit or B) have a minimum of 3 million baht to invest. Otherwise, you will soon be out of here.

You go as far as to use the word "fact" and even set a hard date. Care to back that up with with some supporting details? I'm betting you don't have any such "facts" from the thai government, probably not even from a reputable news source. Please clarify whether this is a true fact or just your vision.

My New Years resolution was to make this year the best year I could possibly make it.

Tonight I'm chilling out with the computer and reading the novel "Of mice and Men", I'll probably do some research on Thailand and work on the move somewhat. If anyone feels like chatting on the phone about Thailand, let me know. I really got to nail down getting a good apartment in a good location.

Freakin Red Sox lost to NY today. Pedro Martinez threw Don Zimmer to the ground in a melee. I'm moving to Thailand, Shwartneggar is Cali's governer... cat's living with dogs, pigs flying. Ate Thai food tonight with friends I don't plan to see for a long time. The waitress and waiter were sooo nice. They didn't speak English all that well...the food.... terrific, the waitress beautiful. Lost my map of Bangkok, it's in this apartment somewhere..looking out the window and thinking of jumping (LOL)... Going to grab that great bottle of wine I have from Napa, gottta drink the good stuff before I go. You all know how it goes..............

6. COMING CHANGES IN VISA LAWS - The fact is, starting next July all of the poor farangs are going to get the boot. To remain here you are going to need to a) have a work permit or B) have a minimum of 3 million baht to invest. Otherwise, you will soon be out of here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/index.php?514&backPID=10&tt_news=526

This link explains it somehwat. The webpage says it's in proposal stage. but it is some thing I need to consider, maybe others out there also. Maybe this trip will last till July only.

WHOA...... STOP

[color:"blue"] Going to grab that great bottle of wine I have from Napa, gottta drink the good stuff before I go. You all know how it goes.............. [/color]

Bring that bottle with you. You'll want it sometime. And you ain't going to get it here.

Share it with a girl or sit and drink it to remember ....... doesn't matter..... it's a piece of home, of where you came from. Bring it. :grinyes::beer:

Regarding the visa laws there are going to be changes made and should be in affect by July next year BUT no one at the moment knows what the actual changes will excatly be yet as they are not yet finalised, staying forever on a tourist visa will be more difficult with the new laws that will change but the actual number of entries and amount of bank deposits and or proof of income required is yet to be known,

Your best bet on the apartment is to get here and spend your first week (after jet lag is over) finding one. You will *always* get a better rate in person. And you can see if the place really looks like it's pictures (not LOL!).

I agree with LHL. If you like wine, bring some as bottles of wine are bloody expensive here! Some wierd tax so something...

Agreed with others on air tix. I have never been asked for a return ticket. I have even used a one way on Thai Air with no problems (jsut recently too).

What day are you coming? Have you nailed it down yet?

Cheers,

SD

The article in the link has a summary of "could have profound effects on foreigners applying for 1 year visas". It didn't say anything about 30 day visa runs or tourist visas.

Archived