Moving to Thailand in November!!!????!!!????***

Thailand is very westernized, you will not be in need of to much from back home if anything other than your preferences. Bankok is an international large city and gives you the best oppertunity for work but it comes with the price of it. You could easily live in another part of Thailand for a year on $10G but would not have much chance if any to make more than $200 a month. You can almost compare yourself to a mexican going to L.A. but you do have an advantage of being considered of higher standards than a mexican. I am just throwing in these bits and pieces of negativitey to keep you on your toes. If you can get by the glamour you will do ok but it is so easy to fall in love several times a day. How many days I have enjoyed just sitting at a street side bar people watching. Wow do I miss it, not much more enjoyable in place in the world. Then again if you are a working man you have a reputation to uphold and this may not be acceptable to many of the other pay check to pay check westerner in Thailand.

Alot of what is enjoyable to me in Thailand is doing what I want when I want. If I am in the sticks or in the big cities I can make it what I want. I do not have to be anywhere at any time or worry about keeping my imagine to those I have to work with. You will still have this stigma with you.

Being in a place bringing with you the finance needed makes it so much more enjoyable than the day to day blaaaazzzz that you will still have being in your situation. If you could get away from bkk and just travel you would love most everything about thailand but trying to make a living makes it much different. Either way you are in for an experience of a life time. You can get cheap deals on hotel rooms on a monthly basis for the first couple months for maybe $300 which you may think of doing it will keep you close to everything and give you time to adjust to the culture shock which does not take much as it is mostly a welcome change. Clothes you can get a complete new wardrobe for a few 100 dollars. Kind of like Wal-mart prices or less for ok quality but much of it is not wash and wear (permanet press).

The Hua Hin you mention is a good move. It has a toned down nightlife, cheap and give you time to get your bearings along with some good time to collect a bit of info. http://www.huahinafterdark.com/. I have a friend getting his degree there that could be of good help to you.

Listen, right now I am very serious in life as I have a 90% chance of having enough money to never having to have a l need again in life for money and it was done by hard work over the last 30 years. I muddy the water a bit which does not go over good with many but it does give you a more diverse look at long term situations which you may not be looking for or want to hear right now. So take what I say with a grain of salt. Good Luck either way and maybe in the future

we may have a few drinks together. Untill then you can tell me what a a-hole I am on the net.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much is a laptop over there?

Most likely more expensive than the US. Check www.tohome.com for some price ideas.

What are the internet cafe's like???? Any slamming women in the cafe's looking cute?

What the hell do you drink in an internet cafe? how's the speed connection?

They are everywhere and convenient and I sometimes read about broadband ones, but all I have used were a room full of people sharing a slow dialup connection. Good lookers? Haven't seen any in a long time. What to drink? Anything you want, they will bring it to you from coffee to beer.

What movies am I checking out, anyone seen that new Terintino flick..........Is it subtitled in English

All the big foreign films are shown in English with thai subtitles, sometimes opening on the same day as in the US. The big movie theatres are much better than what you find in the US in all ways, and cheaper too.

what's a good tropical drink there

scotch & soda. Nice to knock back when it's hot out, cheap, not filling or fattening.

...take me out to the ball game" every half hour. Would that be possible to do on the Chao Phraya?

Too easy. Bring some girls on one of those giant restaurant boats on the chao phya that even have karaoke/disco aboard. Wouldn't surprise me if you can even order hot dogs, just no buns come with them in this country mind you.

No cert, no degree..my resume get's noticed. Hope it's that way in Thailand. That would be too bad if it wasn't, I'm a professional.

Could use a career change anyway......probably be better for me. Maybe something a little more creative, although working on computers is a great job. Maybe I'll find it in Thailand.

I'm going to bed, Night All..........

Matt

[color:"green"] No cert, no degree..my resume get's noticed. Hope it's that way in Thailand. That would be too bad if it wasn't, I'm a professional.

[/color]

You won't make it pass the door. You are looking at working at dodgy English schools for 20K baht/month OR less. At least get a TEFL certificate. The better schools will not even look at you without a college degree.

I question your computer skills since you were unable to use Google to find Penang. :neener:

No cert, no degree, seems like you're clue free.

I can rhyme, I must be an English teacher!!!

hehe, and so will you be. But that's life if you choose to accept it.

"my resume get's noticed. Hope it's that way in Thailand. That would be too bad if it wasn't, I'm a professional." Sorry, it will be too bad. That's the way life is here. I've watched an office manager lead a group through an office here. He introduces the employee and starts listing their accomplishments from GRADE school, through high school, and college/university. Little is mentioned about where they worked before or what they are really doing now. I was practically gagging. That paper is much more significant over here as it's not such a merit based society but one of relationships. Thus those papers are MUCH more important over here and the discussion of fake degrees is such a hot topic (which, if you've done your research, you will know about).

You keep saying your a professional. Not to be too hard nosed, but if you are a professional, you should have some analytical ability. Your specialty is desktop support and network administration. The barriers to acquiring these skills aren't very large. Unfortunately, to utilize these skills you need to communicate and you don't speak Thai and six months, in all likelihood, is not enough time to get your Thai up to speed. It doesn't take much analysis to see your job opportunities (English teaching).

You thought about teaching computers in English to Thais.... Take me. I'm pretty computer literate. I've consulted on network backbones, enterprise wide software acquisition and upgrades, done network administration, can code VB Office better than anyone else out there unless they work for Microsoft, and am about the highest type of power user there is. Folks want to pay me 250 baht an hour to be a trainer.

Do you have any managerial experience?

If you are seriously looking to do this you should be honest with yourself. You're going to be an English teacher if you need work. You want to do something with computers? You will have to spend a signficant amount of time learning the language (6mos, but most likely a year) to the level where it can be useful to search for a job (course this does vary per individual). Do you have the funds to do that? If not, do you have the discipline to do that while teaching English? If not, just want to take a vacation and come over here and lounge about, that's cool too. Thinking you'll come over here and land an IT job with your current skill set and documentation isn't something I'd even put a longshot bet on. Been there and done that.

Having said that, English teaching isn't so bad. I did enjoy it.

<<burp>>

[color:"blue"] "The air pollution was awful.. [/color]

I gotta give cathead credit for telling it how it is - ha ha ha

Coming from the "air conditioned city" of San Francisco over to the incidious polution of BangCough is a real experience. I got a really nasty cough after only 10 days. Yuck!

Rug

BRRBRBRBRBBBBBBB!!!!!

Computers suck anyway, teaching is a great profession. A B C D E F G, wont you come and sing with me. I'll have to meet up sith some teachers there then, show me the ropes. The right and wrong.

I can't even believe someone mentioned bogus certifications and diplomas, what kind of country am I moving to. I have a piece of mind to go down to one of those places selling them and give them a piece of my mind. I think I'll just do that, where are a couple of those places, I'll give them a good talking to. It's amazing to me that someone could go purchase a degree for a little bit of money. I bet they only charge like a hundred dollars, what a joke.

Google....what's Google...come on man.

Management experience, yes, managed many different small groups of slugs some people called desktop support technicians. I'd beat them before and after their breaks, and they were happy if I wanted them to be. I'd have to watch them to make sure things were done correctly and on time every day, then if there was problems I'd have to clean them up.

WCSV56, you know what, I've been on the defensive somewhat. I do to hope to have a beer with you someday. Another thing, I hope you do get to retire in comfort soon, your hard work has paid off. I love it when I hear about people who win in life, everyone that succeeds in life getting what they want out of it is a checkmark for good positive worldly karma. Hau Hin huh, sounds nice and low key.

Anyone know of a good pharmacy around the Nana Plaza area? I'll need to fill a prescription to enlarge my girth when I get there. Serious about the Pharmacy.

I just read about a place in Cambodia where you can fire grenade launchers, who want's to go blow up some shit on my first visa run.

Enough for now.

tell me about teaching???????????????

Archived