Pickpockets

loner w/a boner

I'm pretty leary in crowds when it comes to my wallet in my back pocket. Of all the many dozens of topics I've read on the Nanaplaza board, I don't recall anyone mentioning having their wallet lifted. I've read of ladyboys with knives, etc...but nothing about pickpockets. How prevalent is it? Have a significant percentage of you had first-hand experience (from the victim's standpoint, silly)?

I typed the above, and saved, not uploaded it, yesterday. Last night, while using a late-night net cafe, a ladyboy stole my cell phone. Phone company took care of it, but he/she/it already was into them for 300 baht.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never had a problem. I aways wear pants that have a front zippered pocket, or a shirt that has a zippered security pocket. My ATM card and monet in a clip go there. Not razor proof of course, but not an easy target. My other pockets usually have a lot of other junk in them such as passport copy, rings to give to BGs, small bill and coins.

Most problems are on busses and in large tourist groups (Wat Pho etc), and I am esp wary there.

The American Embassy sent out warnings lst week about thefts from purses at street markets near the embassy.

I have never been picked, never felt an attempt, and no one I know of has. I would be more worried about a motor bike zipping by grabbing a purse or necklace.

I suppose it is possible I have had some small bills lifted while intoxicated. :dunno: But what I don't know don't hurt me!

I always carry my wallet in my front trouser pocket (preferably zippered, if my kegs include one), never hanging invitingly out of the back bins like the young Japanese guys you see in LOS. :doah: Carrying a fat full wallet in my front pocket has the added advantage of rendering my groin/pelvic area as to be that of a man "packing a large one". :: Psychologically, this allows me an abundance of added self-confidence, and I stride along the bustling Thai sidewalks with a spring in my step on such magic days. :) Though after a long afternoon's beergarden journey into night on the electric soup :drunk: I do find that my wallet, like my cock, has shrunk rather. :(

A daft American bird I worked with :down: went to BKK on her own and had her genuine Chanel :o shoulder bag snatched in broad daylight by two goons on a moped on Khao San Road. She reckons they razored the strap but said it was so quick she couldn't be sure: the light-fingered twosome were pretty skilled at their chosen profession, anyway. She was more than a bit dopey, though, and dressed/acted like a typical well-heeled US tourist and it was pretty grim for her seeing as her bag contained all her brass and credit cards, passport, camera and so on (stupid, stupid, stupid... :doah:).

That's the only instance of someone being "dipped" (not really dipped, I suppose, more "bag-snatched and asking for it") that I've known of in LOS: I've never heard of a bloke being pick-pocketed. But then again, I don't have any friends, so don't tend to hear much. :(

jack :help:

"I don't recall anyone mentioning having their wallet lifted."

Actually there was a thread about this subject, maybe on this board, a few months ago. It is not at all unheard of.

I had my phone stolen near the Volvo dealership on Sukhumvit Road. It was late at night and two women approached me, one on either side, one of them putting her arm around my waist, and asked if I wanted them to go with me. I said no and they stepped back into a dark place next to a phone booth. I felt for my phone and it was gone so I turned around and went after them. She jumped back, threw her hands in the air (Who, me?) and dropped something, which was my phone. These were probably the ladyboy pickpockets that other people have talked about. I had a woman come up to me in broad daylight and make what must have been a pickpocket attempt while I was waiting for the light to change at Asok and Sukhumvit. Again, she put her arm around my waist. I had a similar attempt in SIngapore. Every time a strange woman puts arm aroung my waist it is a pickpoocket attempt, three times in the past few years. Also a gogo dancer at Soi Cowboy stick her hand in my pocket once. It may have been playful if she had not looked the other way at the same time.

I was warned about the kids in Siem Reap and one day near the market someone hit my wallet. A small boy was standing there with his hand on his hand on his ear and his elbow sticking out (s if anyone stands that way) intently looking in another direction. I should have tapped him on the head with my knuckles. The same day two 10-12 year olds were following closely my with seemlingly evil intent. I ran them off.

"I've read of ladyboys with knives, etc"

Do you mean taking a wallet by cutting someones clothes? This happens with razor blades in Tijuana but I have not heard of it here. In TJ someone grabs a person from behind while others go through his pockets, sometimes using razors to slit the victims pockets. Here in Bangkok I have heard of more druggings than physical assaults. I have been advised to stay out of Patpong but if I go, don't go alone and also to not go into any upstairs bars.

Someone said that if you put large rubber bands around your wallet it will be very difficult for someone to steal it, but that would be a nieusance.

zen

Happens all the time all over the world, just that the scenery and atmosphere in Asia is different for most. Also, many on holiday are somewhat permanently a little pissed.

The only measure to avoid it I can recommend is to make sure that you are not the easiest target. Thieves will pick on the easiest and leave others alone.

It goes without saying not to carry too much or any valuables with you. That goes even for passports whatever anyone says about the need to carry them during the APEC summit.

Chaktu Chak weekend market announces about pick pockets all of the time. Have also seen the works of people having their pockets emptied by the careful opeation of a utility knife. The employees at the US embassy had their purse contents stolen this way. They did not even realize it had happen. Slick indeed. Dressing up, wearing gold, carrying a cell phone and a wallet in back pocket or a shoulder purse makes one look like a sitting duck. Generally you hear about this right when it happens.

In a crowded market I once had a throwaway wallet picked from my back pocket. Fortunately I had my valuables in my front pocket.

But I found that I don't like carrying much in my front pants pocket. A wallet there interferes with finding other stuff like change, small bills, earplugs or a condom. I don't like zippered or buttoned pockets. I don't like having things in a shirt pocket--weighs down the shirt and may fall out. Moneybelts are most inconvenient.

The perfect solution is exactly this: a biker's wallet-on-a-chain. You can buy one at most markets including the street market around Patpong. It can't be picked off of you; the snaps keep things pretty securely inside; you can never lose it. I've used one for years now and wouldn't consider anything else. I've never had the slightest problem even in crowded high risk areas like Chatuchak.

On a side note, one of the best ways to head off an undesirable who's approaching you or starting some harrassment, such as a tout or katooey, is just to stick your arm out at him with palm opened in the universal STOP gesture, so that he/she is just looking or talking to your palm. Don't smile. Keep walking, of course . . . . They seem to take this a stong message that you're serious about not letting them get anything out of you and so they give up. Shows you've been around, too: a tourist would never do that, it's not polite.

While I realize that my outlook is different from many :rolleyes:, I fail to see why anyone visiting and especially a tourist area has to maintain habits as they have at home.

When I arrive in LOS the wallet, passport and credit cards, air tickets, good watch etc. go in the hotel safe. Now all I carry is cash...but not enough to worry about, an ATM card if a big day is planned and a smile saying saying 'Hi, I'm yours'.

Now go enjoy it. :neener:

Same same almost. My "real" wallet goes promptly in the safe when I arrive in LOS. I always bring one of those trifold canvas sports wallets that fits easily in one's front pant pocket and in this I only keep a minimum of Baht (Its "taller" than a 'normal' wallet as well so can easily fit those 1000 baht notes).

Archived