Pickpockets

loner w/a boner

I too leave everything in the hotel safe except for the spending money for the day .

As i am half pissed most of the time it is easier not to have to worry about valuables.

The most i stand to lose is a few thousand baht.

I usually lose a few thousand baht every holiday thou as i pull money out of my pocket it tends to fall on the ground but i wil live with that.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should also note that the problem is not restricted to Farang. Had a B/G tell me of a time when she had an expensive gold chain ripped off her neck on the street, and several tell me of the problem, and how they deal with it, explaining if not having a 'lockable' back pocket, to put valubles in front pocket.

On a night out, I will only carry baht, and nothing else. All the rest stays locked up at hotel. Don't even carry a wallet. If they don't see that bulge in your back pocket, then no reason to waste the time, to even approch you. During the day, I will carry a small bag, crossed across my chest, only holding digital camera, black book (have back-up on palm pilot :), and condoms. I would not be suicidal if razored off, but have never had any problems in LOS.

HT

Another solution, which I had done for my last trip, was to have a U shaped pocket made of 'trouser pocket' material sewn inside my trousers just below the belt line.

The only way to get anything out of it was to put your hand inside your trousers and take out the contents.

A little bit of hard work to make up the pockets and then sew them on the trousers but it did give me peace of mind when walking around.

I had all my trousers for the trip done in this way. The pockets are still there today.

You can decide how deep you need them.

A bit of fun too when you have to take some money out in a crowd. Its a little bit like ''' for my next trick'''' I'm going to produce money from my crotch.

I didn't keep all my money there just the surplus when out for a long day. Maybe also my passport .

The only problem was I sweat a bit and the money got a little damp. At least I still had it at the end of the day - wet or dry.

Maybe I should patent this idea.

My (Thai) wife is always after me to watch my wallet in certain circumstances, e.g., walking down Sukhumvit. I'm normally pretty vigilant anyway and never even had an attempted pickpocking here in BKK and I've lived here now over 2 1/2 years.

Did get my wallet picked once at Mardi Gras in New Orleans and I can tell you it sucked big time. The weirdest thing about it was, several days later I found someone else's wallet in my vest pocket - emptied of cash of course.

No sense taking any chances and all the recommendations here are good. Prefer the money belt / dummy wallet solutions for when I travel.

I had two girls come up to me near Thonglor when I was walking home with the usual "hello, where you from" when I felt one of them reach for my wallet.

Lucky for me that I felt her try to get my wallet and I managed to put her in an aikido wrist lock. Glad to say I nearly broke her wrist, but I as really shocked to have it happen so close to home.

Says HIGH THAIED:

Should also note that the problem is not restricted to Farang.

HT

Quite true, several years back had a long-time regular Pattaya BG who stayed with me several days - I gave her 4000 baht on the last day. A few days later (after Butterflying) I went back to her and she told me how another girl in a Pattaya store took all the money I gave her. My regular spoke nearly NO english and said "she remember girl 'touch me', then purse and money gone". I know it sounds like a scam (which of course was my initial thought) but she wouldn't accept ANY more Baht from me, she just said "problem ME, not you", she also showed me a copy of the police report (which I couldn't read) and she had some paper document to serve as a temporary ID card (which the hotel accepted as ID for her).

It almost sounded like the girl had put some drug/chemical on her right in broad daylight in the store that somehow temporarily stunned her for a few moments. I seem to recall there was a thread on this (possible numbing by externally applied drug/chemical) some time back.

Hi,

I remember that thread. mai ruu. I do know that the 'patch' for quiting tobaco works within a few minutes, but I have never heard of a drug being to be able to inject immediatly, through the skin. I would be very suspect of the possibilities of this being possible.

HT

pickpocket update

On the way home from the cybercafe, immediately after posting the above message, I had a katoey follow me, bumping into me, feeling its right hand on my right-rear pocket. God, I came so close to turning around and decking it. I remember their "knives" though. And there were other katoeys and street venders around too. I stopped to let it pass (it went up the steps of the Rablahblahblah), just left of the Thermae entrance. Brazenly, it started to follow me again, when I stopped and put my hands on my hips, looking at it to let it know that I knew. It took that much for it to get the message that I knew. Geeeeez! This was probably 5 am. I wasn't returning from "nookie time", but leaving the closest 24-hour Net cafe I could find. Would have been easy to hop a cab, but need the exercise.

As much as I want to explore the city, I'll be doing most of that during daylight hours.

BTW, I just want ladyboys to be happy. My use of the term "it" is just for stress-venting.

Says ptyrider:

The perfect solution...a biker's wallet-on-a-chain...can't be picked off of you..never had the slightest problem even in crowded high risk areas...

...stick your arm out at him with palm opened in the universal STOP gesture...

Yep, I'm already at that point that I don't want anyone on the street touching me. The first couple of days, it was kind of a novelty to have a beautiful creature put her arm around me.

I've always wondered about those biker wallets. I figured they might serve as a deterrent to the less experienced thieves, but thought an old pro might giggle and take it just to prove a point. Glad to know they work that well. Will give it a second look now.

Thx

Archived