culture shock question

loner w/a boner

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

....Finding out how much 20 baht will buy...

same here. still amazing how 20 baht items compare. :dunno:

==============

...Greatest culture shock is the women. Even in the villages I have been pulled to the side so as to show off my penis to other women. Reason: they have never seen a falang penis...

I've had the village fill a small space to meet me; never had them ask to see Cockzilla though. :devil:

=====================

...Asian toilets. I have gotten used to them and actually prefer them over American toilets...

I strongly prefer the Thai showers, although, on ocassion I'll want a bath. But the toilets? I don't know. Something about having to manually dissolve my pile of shit that turns me off. I don't even mind shitting in the woods and burying it, but flushing it one small bucket-full at a time--noooooooooo

I want a tank full of water to whisk it away immediately.

======================

...Eating off the floor because I have no kitchen chairs. Eating off the floor and enjoying it...

yeah, there seems to be something really neat about it; don't know how to put it into words. But, the floors!!! In the smallest homes (except shacks), I've seen gorgeous marble floors--don't mind sitting on them at all--with a pillow for cushion. What really impresses me is the beautiful and ornate overhead lighting. Everywhere I go it seems there are the most exquisite lights.

===========================

...Is that intestines, heart, gizzard, liver, etc. on the plate?...

I haven't quite got use to that. If I do, it will be a huge milestone in my life--I'm really picky about food. :help:

==================

...In country, peeing along side the road...

You didn't do that in your home country? Hmmm :hubba:

Later

Just returned from a stint upcountry; no, I was not escaping the APEC overhype, but rather that is where my duties sometimes take me. I'm actually semiretired, but I keep my hand in and do not have access to a computer often when away from the city. This is a pretty good thread, and maybe it should be moved to General Discussion for a wider readership, as not everyone looks in here; there are several sections I've never found the time to look in myself.

Another thing to keep in mind is that NOT everyone suffers from Culture Shock. As surprising as it may sound to certain so-called "people" who believe they are the only ones who have ever set foot off of Sukhumvit Road, I spent a number of years on the Burmese border, without electricity and other conveniences, and I slipped comfortably in. I also found I could, right from the beginning, travel rather seamlessy between there and other parts upcountry and the U.S. Other of my colleagues were the same, but not all. Some did have a difficult time handling rural Thailand. Some even had a difficult time handling Bangkok (this was WAY before the Skytrain or cable television, etc.). I was sympathetic to the ones with Culture Shock, but naturally my closer farang acquaintances were those who also did not suffer much or any Culture Shock. The ones who suffered it a lot seemed to form their own little informal support group; some stayed quite a long time after adjusting, some never did adjust.

Anyway, the point is there are varying degrees of Culture Shock, ranging from none at all to quite a heavy wallop. How will YOU fare? There is absolutely no way to tell for sure without jumping in yourself, preferably with both feet. Do it. Keep an escape route open, though, just in case.

Archived