culture shock question

loner w/a boner

don't listen to Fly ... he don't know kimchi from somtam .... :neener:

The Korean Plaza (aka Sukhumvit Plaza) is located on the corner of Soi 12. You will find various korean restaurants on the ground floor. The first one closest to the street is good for meat.

There are a lot of Korean restaurants in lower Suk ....

Also I haven't been there but a farang friend likes the place in Pratunam Princess .. have lunch and dinner buffet I believe.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some culture shocks I have experienced is experiencing the Sky Train to be too cold and then only t Turning on the air conditioning in the apartment only one afternnoon during the last year. When I returned home, freezing off my butt.

Eating the hottest food possible after making it even more spicer. Then going home only to have to ask the manager at the Mexican restaurant if he has been buying cheal halopenos (the kind that are not hot).

Eat the local food, and not getting the Monterzuma revenge. Go home and get the Montezuma revenge.

Finding my self confused: do you walk to the left, to the right, or straight down the center of the lane in a market. I can not stand people who stop for no reason in a market and stare at nothing. What is even worse is when I come about after doing the same thing. I still do not know what is the longest period I stood in one spot, blank face, empty mind.

Riding in the back of a small truck bus. Also riding in the front of a small truck in the second row of seats with my knees on my chest.

Eating something I have no idea what it was. Going home and eating a hot dog and not knowing what was in it.

Riding on the back of a motorcycle taxi while going 100 km per hour in Bangkok during rush hour.

Trying to find a pair of sandals that will fit my feet. Breaking the strap on my sandal and having to hobble 1/2 block to where the man sits that repairs shoes.

Finding out how much 20 baht will buy.

Getting lost again.

Making a list of the places I have not seen.

Wondering why people do not visit the Golden Buddha with chisel and hammer.

Never being hassled by the Police, Customs, or airport security.

Watching a DVD movie about 2-3 days after it has been released. Cost, less then the ticket at a movie theatre. Paying more for pop corn back home then I paid for the DVD (I still do not understand wht I always seem to get the floor sweeping instead of the newly popped corn) What am I doing wrong.

Greatest culture shock is the women. Even in the villages I have been pulled to the side so as to show off my penis to other women. Reason: they have never seen a falang penis.

Too much boom boom. After awhile, I get tired. Go back home, no boom boom. Get recharged.

Asian toilets. I have gotten used to them and actually prefer them over American toilets.

Eating off the floor because I have no kitchen chairs. Eating off the floor and enjoying it.

In village, love taking shower using captured rain water. At apartment, love to take cold showers.

Is that intestines, heart, gizzard, liver, etc. on the plate? Was at village and one person caught 30 field birds that night. The birds were defeathered and opened up. I was amazed how many times I heard that meat cleaver hit the 2 birds we bought as they were being prepared. The birds were literally pulverized. Meat and bones. Tasted real good.

In country, peeing along side the road.

Wondering if the fish I bought came from the river?

Says Big_Kahuna:

Also, FYI: The Black Forest is in what was West Germany and over close to Switzerland. Generally between the Rhine and Neckar rivers.

Ah, I c. Actually, as I recall, he didn't volunteer the info. I rattled off a bunch of cities/areas. When I mentioned something in the east, he stopped and gave me the "look". Can't remember the specifics now, it's been so long. Did look at a cold-war map of Germany as a mental refresher though. What a mess (cw Germany--not my mental).

...We often go to a place on Suk Soi 24, on the RH side, about 300m from Suk. Has all the good stuff: bulgolgi, spicy pork & fish, cow's tongue, etc.

Jazz -- this place got high marks from our mutual friend NYSaint when wifey & I took him there!

Cheers,

SD

Archived