Word of the Day!

Pom Michael

Hi PM,

>>>>Of course, the hardest part is knowing the correct context to use them in.<<<

Yes. This is the hard part, at least for me. I do have a couple of questions. I always thought 'tong' = need/must do something, and 'tong-gan' = need/must have an object. If I cut myself, and needed a band-aid, I would use 'tong-gan'. :dunno:

Also, the somewhat informal 'ow' should be in here also, for 'want'.

And does 'na ja' = 'should', also. Along with 'khuan', and 'ja'?

Bang tee/Bang krang = 'Sometimes', and I think this word always comes at the end of the sentence. (bang = some) and (tee/krang = time/occasion). Easy to remember. But it also means 'Maybe'. Is there any other word for 'maybe'?

Thanks..............HT :)

Just remembered something else:

Maybe I'm getting my first question mixed up with 'yak', and 'yak dai'. 'Yak' = want do something, vs. 'Yak dai' = want an object. ? :o ????? Sorry....still learning at a very low level here.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says HIGH THAIED:

I always thought 'tong' = need/must do something, and 'tong-gan' = need/must have an object. If I cut myself, and needed a band-aid, I would use 'tong-gan'.

That's about right, becuse you need to use/have a band-aid

And does 'na ja' = 'should', also. Along with 'khuan', and 'ja'?

'na ja' and 'kuan' have similar meanings although 'na ja' is a little less strong meaning so that to do something is a good idea, but there is not the same imperative as 'kuan'. 'ja' by itself would suggest that there is no outside imperitive but you are intending to do something.

Bang tee/Bang krang = 'Sometimes', and I think this word always comes at the end of the sentence. (bang = some) and (tee/krang = time/occasion). Easy to remember. But it also means 'Maybe'. Is there any other word for 'maybe'?

'art ja'

Maybe I'm getting my first question mixed up with 'yak', and 'yak dai'. 'Yak' = want do something, vs. 'Yak dai' = want an object. ? :o ????? Sorry....still learning at a very low level here.

Now you've got me confused ::

>>>>Of course, the hardest part is knowing the correct context to use them in.<<<

The thing about context is that you just have to be constantly aware of how words are used but don't get too hung up on understanding the how or why. Eventually things just start to make sense on thier own.

Hi,

Context and context. Your post reminds me an incident when I was in the 9th grade. A new peace corp teacher just came in and I was fetched to take care of her because of the English speaking skills.

By the time I got there a male teacher settled her in (he thought) in a housing in the school campus which miles from the nearest neighbor. She was quite shaken and told me that she was afraid because she was told "You must NOT leave here to go anywhere, tell Jasmine what you want." She thought she was being detained!!!

What the teacher said was in the context that she did not have to go to the market by herself, Jasmine would help. But because the teacher interpreted the Thai directly "Mai Tong" to "must" caused a bit of discomfort there.

I always use "art ja" for may be in the near future and use "bang tee" in the context of "perhaps" for planning such as a trip.

Use "ow" in everyday conversation about my wants but use "tong garn" on someone else's wants, does that make sense? For example, I would ask my mother what she "tong garn" but state "ow" of what my wants. For Hubby since we are close, I will use "ow" for both of us. I hope I am not adding the fuel to the confusion.

Jasmine

:)

New word, in PM's absence.

Soon = reo reo nee

-------------------------

Related:

hurry up = reo reo noi

In a minute = dio/diaw

Now = tawn nee

Later = ? (could it be saai gwa / saai = late, and gwa turning it into 'later'? ) :dunno:

WOW...just went to Thai-language.com. Maybe we should keep 'later' for a separate entry (word of the day). Looks a little complicated. ::

HT

Archived