Word of the Day!

Pom Michael

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says Pom Michael:

ÅÔº´å - lipdar. (Never heard lipdar being used - anyone have any context when this word would be used in speech) ?

¾ÔÅÔº´å - philipdar (again, context to use philipdar)?

Never heard of these before and after looking in the Thai Thai dictionary I can see why

It is talking about minutes and seconds in a geometric sense as in 60 minutes to a geometric degree.

Probably the only time you would need these terms is for map reading and advanced geometric mathematics not everyday conversation

Says HIGH THAIED:

"Pit" is a good example, since you selected it. Can mean a number of Thai words. "Raan ahaan pit Laew" means "Restaurant closed already".

"Phit" (long vowel, but the same pronounciation) means guilty/wrong, etc. So if not spoken in the proper tone/vowel length, can leave a Thai person to think the restaurant is guilty of something, or the wrong place.

Gotta pull you up here HT.

the difference between 'pit' (close) and 'phit' (wrong) is not the vowel but the consonant, which is not affected by the tone marker

One system of transliteration (there are many) has 'ph' used for the clearer 'p' sound (¾ ¼ À) while 'p' is used for the 'bp' sound (»).

But you are right there are words translierated into English that have a variety of meanings in Thai (eg wan -could mean 'ring', 'day' or 'sweet' depending on the translieration system).

The problem lies in the fact that there are as many transliteration systems as there are tranliterators all of which have some flaw or quirk that others find troublesome.

there is a solution however- learn Thai script. :neener:

Good points here.

Transliteration. I also didn't agree with this one, but the book that I'm using as reference had it like this.

Basic Thai Conversation Dictionary (English-Thai / Thai-English) by Lt. Col. Unserm Narmwang.

I have a bookshelf full of Dictionaries, but this is the only one that has English, transliteration and Thai script for each entry. At least I'll be consistant.

And this is exactly why I'm including the Thai script. I can read and write individual letters, but reading them in words and phrases takes much more effort. But it only takes a bit of effort, as I can read most of the road signs easily since I see them everyday.

Cheers!

Word Up! Sunday, 19 Oct.

'Nang' we saw was informal for movie, but it also can mean:

nang (verb) - ¹Ñè§ - sit

nang (noun) - ¹Ñè§, ˹ѧ - movie, leather, skin (but normally not human skin)

nang long - ˹ѧŧ - sit down

nang sat - ˹ѧÊѵÇì - leather

nang su - ˹ѧÊ×à - book, volume

nangsu khoo mue - ˹ѧÊ×äØèÃÕà - handbook, manual

nangsue dern tharng - ˹ѧÊ×ÃàµÔ¹·å§ - passport

nangsue phim - ˹ѧÊ×þÔþì - newspaper

nangsue arn len - novel

nangsue anuyart khao muang - visa

Cheers!

To continue yesterdays 'Word of the Day', this is what's printed on childrens 'learn writing' posters:

àÇÅÒ - velaa (= time)

60 ÇÔ¹Ò·Õ à»ç¹ 1 ¹Ò·Õ

hoksip wenaatee bpen neung naatee

(60 seconds is 1 minute)

60 ¹Ò·Õ à»ç¹ 1 ªÑèÇâç

hoksip naatee bpen neung chumong

(60 minutes is 1 hour)

24 ªÑèÇâç à»ç¹ 1 Çѹ

yeesipsee chumong bpen neung wan

(24 hours is 1 day)

30 Çѹ à»ç¹ 1 à´×ù

saamsip wan bpen neung deuan

(30 days is 1 month)

12 à´×ù à»ç¹ 1 »Õ

sipsong deuan bpen neung pee

(12 months is 1 year)

1 »Õ ÃÕ 365 Çѹ

neung pee mee samroihoksiphaa wan

(one year has 365 days)

à»ç¹ (bpen, said with a short vowel as marked with the small 'number 8' sign above ») is used in many contexts. Straight out from the dictionary it means: 'to be, to act, to become, to serve as'.

à»ç¹ºéÒ - bpenbaa - to go crazy

à»ç¹¹éÓ - bpennaam - (lit. 'to become water') - fluently, eloquently

After todays lesson you should be able to construct some pretty useful phrases. For example, when a cop stops you to take you to the station you can now say: 'khun bpen baa, mai mee velaa' ;)

Monday, 20 Oct.

An easy one today:

nak - ˹ѡ - heavy, weighty, very, too

narm nak - ¹éÓ˹ѡ - weight

Bonus question : nak as a prefix to a word gives it the character of the person who is working.

Example : nak thura-kit - ¹Ñ¡¸ØáԨ - is a businessman. Notice the difference in the nak (˹ѡ versus ¹Ñ¡ no Ë Haw Heap).

What are the Thai words for the following ?

Diplomat -

Gambler -

Politician -

Sportsman -

Cyclist -

Musician -

Dancer -

Tourist -

Prisoner -

Political prisoner -

Archaeologist -

Author; Writer -

Philosopher -

Orator -

Linguist -

Geographer -

Boxer -

Warrior -

Singer -

Student / Pupil -

Cadet (school boy or girl) -

Scholar -

Hooligan; loafer - (And no it is not Nak-FieryJack!)

Actor -

Detective -

Journalist -

Reader -

Newspaperman - (remember our earlier lesson class!)

Cheers!

Diplomat - ¹Ñ¡¡Ò÷٥

nakgaarntuudt

Politician - ¹Ñ¡¡ÒÃàÃ×ç

nakgarnmuang (muang as in 'town/city/country')

Singer - ¹Ñ¡Ãéç

nakrong (for the longest time I thought it was naklong before I looked it up)

Student / Pupil - ¹Ñ¡àÃÕ¹

nakrien (comp. 'rong rien' - school)

Detective - ¹Ñ¡Ê׺ - nakseub (this one you actually see quite often, must be all those 'mia nois' ;) ...see for example large sign at Rama 9/Ramkamheng intersection)

Bonus: Spying - à»é¹¹Ñ¡Ê׺ - bpen nakseub (lit. to become detective)

That's the ones I know off hand & with a quick glimpse in the dictionary for correct spelling...I could probably look up a few more but don't have time right now...

I'd like to hear some slang words for 'gambler' though...anyone?

Are you working on your own dictionary?

Nice this "word of the day" concept, but only if many newbies are looking at it. Otherwise it only becomes a test of skills amongst a few.

Archived