Author; Writer -

[color:"red"] ¹Ñ¡à¢Õ¹ [/color] - "Nak Keayn????"

Orator -

Linguist - "nak pasasart"

Boxer - [color:"red"] ¹Ñ¡ÃÇ [/color] - "Nak Muey"

Warrior - [color:"red"] ¹Ñ¡Ãº [/color] - "Nak Rop"

Cheers! ::

Straycat,

Thanks for all the details, easier than I could type it all in.

Gambler - nak karn pha-nan

Author/writer - nak pra-phan

Orator - nak phoot ::

Linguist - nak pharsar :angel:

Cyclist - ¹Ñ¡»Ñ蹨ѡÃÂÒ¹ -"Nak Pan Jakrayarn" or nak chakkrayarn.

Cheers!

You must mean "¹Ñ´" "nat" which is a noun/verb/adjective means appointment, date or to have an appointment/date.

"Mee nat gup mor wannee Ton yen." - Have a doctor appointment in the late afternoon today. ÃչѴ¡ÑºËÃÃÇѹ¹ÕéµÃ¹àÂç¹

Your example of "talad Nat" is an adjective example.

For a verb, ones may use "Nat mor hai noi" - Set a doctor appointment for me. ¹Ñ´ËÃÃãËé˹èÃÂ

Or "Nat gup kru wai ton 4 mong yen" - Have a date/appointment with the teacher at 4 PM. ¹Ñ´¡Ñº¤ÃÙäÇéµÃ¹ÊÕèâçàÂç¹

Jasmine

Thanks Jasmine,

Word of the Day for Thursday, 23 Oct (Chulalongkorn Memorial Day):

Holiday - ÇѹËÂؤ - wan yut - I was expecting to find a more formal word for holiday, instead of only "day stop". Anyone know of a different word for "holiday"?

Cheers!

Naturally, [color:"red"]ÇѹËÂØ´[/color] (wan yot) derives from [color:"red"]ÇѹËÂØ´·Ó§Ò¹[/color] (wan yot tam ngaan - 'day stop work'). However, my dictionary also list [color:"red"]Çѹ¾Ñ¡¼èù[/color] (wan pakpon) as 'holiday').

Shop windows etc seem to mostly use [color:"red"]ËÂØ´[/color] to indicate holiday, e.g. [color:"red"]ËÂØ´ 1 Çѹ[/color] (yot neung wan - closed one day). At least that's the only way I've seen it done...(For the very newbie to Thai language: [color:"red"]ËÂØ´[/color] is also what's printed on Thai stop-signs)

Thanks for another 'Word of the Day'! As an advanced beginner/weak intermediate speaker it certainly has value for me. It makes me think, look up words and use the Thai keyboard. (So for me personally it's not at all a 'skill test' as suggested by Oran above).

PM missed Friday, so I will make an offering. :)

should = na ja // (na(f)ja(m)

Phom na ja glap bai rong ram = I should go back to the hotel.

Related terms:

should = kuan ja (verb)

will = ja

might = at ja

probably = kong ja (verb)

maybe/sometimes = bang tee/bang krang

Hope all this is correct. :o

HT

Thanks HT,

Well, you pick a very hard subject for the word of the day.

I find that you cannot think about these words in English and do a direct translation into Thai, you need to forget the English usages and just concentrate on how the Thai is used, meaning in what context to use the words.

As my example in the first page, the words from the dictionary for "seconds" and "minutes" are correct, but without knowing the context to use them in (circular degrees), they would not fit in correctly.

Will - cha (or ja) ¨à - translates to both will or should, depending on context. You will also see - tangchai - for will.

Should - khuan - ¤Çà or cha - ¨Ã

Must - torng - 悇

Maybe - barng thee - ºÒ§·Õ

Want - torng karn - µéç¡Òà or yark - ÃÂÇ¡

Of course, the hardest part is knowing the correct context to use them in. Don't worry about making a mistake, someone will notice and correct. I anyways learn quicker / easier by noticing my mistakes. Even the dictionary that I'm using has had two mistakes in the few words so far that I have put on this tread.

Cheers!

Archived