Word of the Day!

Pom Michael

Word of the day for Thursday, October 16, 2003.

Movie - Àå¾Â¹¥Ãì - pharp pha-yon, or more informal to say ˹ѧ - nang.

Movie Theatre - âçÀå¾Â¹¥Ãì - rong pharp pha-yon, or more informal to say - âç˹ѧ rong nang.

Cheers!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Thai keybaord

One benefit of something like this is that it can lead/link to other vocab of interest.

parpayon is two very useful words put together parp (picture) and yon (things mechanical)

Which leads us to useful words/ phrases such as ward parp (paint a picture) or hun yon (robot) kreuang yon (machine) etc

Hi Markle,

My favorite example of this is 'rot tit' (traffic jam). Rot= vehicle, and 'tit' = attached/stuck together. So traffic jam is 'cars sticking to each other'. Made me laugh when I figured this out, and so made me never forget Thai word for 'traffic jam'. ::

By the way, I think this is an absolutly GREAT idea, to have a 'word of the day' here. Brilliant idea, to original poster. :applause::bow:

HT

Hi PM,

Great idea!, as I just stated in last post. I did want to make a suggestion, though. Would be great to offer a tone marker for the English version... nang ®. Would greatly help us lazy guys, who cannot yet read Thai. :)

And maybe offer a short phrase/sentence utilizing the new word : Khun chawp bai duu nang mai (you like go see movie?) :dunno:

HT

Friday, 17 Oct.

à´×ôÃÒ¡ - (dued-maak) to boil with anger, to be furious

à´×ô - (dued) boil, to boil, to froth, to foam

ÃØè¹ - (uun) warm, to warm (·ÓãËéÃØè¹)

»Ô´ - (pidt) close, to close

à»Ô´ - (perdt) open, to open

Theme? Labels on the MK hotpot!

Markle: This was my plan, to let other posters bring in different ideas of the word or words, and their practical uses. I also don't have a Thai Keyboard, but have found this to be effective. Virtual Thai Keyboard

High Thaied. I have no idea of what those symbols for the tones are, and wouldn't have a clue on how to place them. It is hard enough just figuring out the best way to transliterate the Thai word into English. I'll let someone else add the tone marks.

Cheers!

Hi PM,

Pasa Thai has 5 tones, and can be short, or long, vowel length, which I'm sure you know. So...any word has 10 possibilities of pronunciation. Tones are: rising ®, falling (f), high (h), low (L), mid-tone (m). Vowel length is either short, or long.

"Pit" is a good example, since you selected it. Can mean a number of Thai words. "Raan ahaan pit Laew" means "Restaurant closed already".

"Phit" (long vowel, but the same pronounciation) means guilty/wrong, etc. So if not spoken in the proper tone/vowel length, can leave a Thai person to think the restaurant is guilty of something, or the wrong place.

So....here is my thought on this, for whatever it is worth. I think it most beneficial to have only one word, every day, as opposed to numerous one's, like posted today. I do not think this forum gets enough activity to be able to disect more than a single word (or phrase), in a 24 hour period. Since so many Thai words can have alternate meanings, it would be best to keep it simple, and only post a single, simple word.

Take 'restaurant' for example. Raan ahaan, Pat-a-karn, etc. What does 'raan' mean? (store). What does 'ahaan' mean? (food, but also has more formal words, like 'thaam'). As seen here many times, a single word can be discussed at great length.

Just my input. :)

HT

Saturday, 18 Oct.

Time for someone else to start with a new word or phrase.

Minute - ¹å·Õ - narthee, or ÅÔº´å - lipdar. (Never heard lipdar being used - anyone have any context when this word would be used in speech) ?

Hour - ªÑèÇâç shua-mong

Second - ÇÔ¹å·Õ - winarthee, ¾ÔÅÔº´å - philipdar (again, context to use philipdar)?

Bonus - Second (place) - ·ÕÊç - thee sorng

Cheers!

Great idea for a thread. I'm all for it!

Though and that should not come as a surprise as it's inevitable; I do not fully agree with your transliteration.

My view is that one should be careful to not confuse those who cannot read Thai (*). I think the following is a better transliteration (more true both to Thai spelling and actual pronunciation):

Minute - ¹å·Õ - naatee (no r involved here, ¹å = naa)

Second - ÇÔ¹å·Õ - wenaatee (again no r anywhere)

(*) I mention this specifically since Thais seem to take pride in confusing transliterations. Just take Singha Beer and Thaksin Shinawatra -- it should really be Singh and Shinawat, as this is how it's pronunced and, sort of, spelled as well.

Archived