Web host / server needed

Stickman

I have had some server issues and need to move my site to a new server pronto. As far as webspace goes, the site is currently less than 15 MB, but is expected to grow by several megabytes a year. As far as bandwidth goes, it is fairly high at over 50 gigabytes a month ? and this could make things a little tricky as I understand this is fairly high.

So, does anyone have any recommendations or ideas on a new server host? As my site is essentially non-commercial, budgetary constraints are tight. Any recommendations are welcome.

Stick

Hi,

"As far as bandwidth goes, it is fairly high at over 50 gigabytes a month ? and this could make things a little tricky as I understand this is fairly high."

Yes, I am afraid it will.

I was just about to suggest I talk to Jigger about offering you some space on our server, but 50Gb would cost us about $300 a month in bandwidth costs. I like you, but not that much :)

I suggest you try cutting down this bandwidth a bit by splitting your pages (mainly the nightlife one) :). You once mentioned this page is over 1Mb in size, excl. pics, so assuming it is accessed 20,000 times a month that page uses up 20Gb already! And I bet that many people would not read the entire page every time.

So, splitting this into a couple of pages will likely seriously cut down your bandwidth.

Sanuk!

PS 15Mb is pretty much irrelevant, harddisks are very cheap.

I can wholeheartidy recommend Cyberwurx Hosting. (I've been with them since the 90's).

Economy plan 1 (50 gigs transfer) would cost you USD 37.50

I recommend you however to ask for a custom quote based on your specific needs.

Hosting service plans are here .

There are most likely even cheaper options out there but I cannot vouch on how good they are; www.webair.com springs to mind. They have 50 GB transfer for 19.95 USD.

Research your hosting thoroughly as there are many cheap ones but with terrible service out there.

You can't go wrong with my first recommendation though.

Go to www.webhostingtalk.com and post your requirements under "Requests". The web hosts will post lots of great offers. I just scanned *dedicated* servers and see numerous offers under $100/month. I even see one for $35/mo for 300gb bandwidth! Dedicated of course is probably overkill and you get your own hard drive with many gigs too. If you just need shared, the price is much lower. To learn about each web host more, there is a general section and search to see what people say about each host or ask about them. This site is kind of the nanaplaza of hosting.

Hi,

"I even see one for $35/mo for 300gb bandwidth!"

I always wonder about these, what happens if you actually do pull that much bandwidth every month? My guess is that you will get kicked off, or their connection is just so fucking slow that you can never get that much bandwidth anyway.

Sanuk!

What I've read is kind of common is a new service will come out and offer huge bandwidth (or even unlimited) dedicated hosting for a super low cost and for a while, it will be great. You'll have one IT guy out there giving you everything you need support and bandwidth wise. But because it is such a good deal, before long he is overwhelmed by the increased support and bandwidth needs of customers. He doesn't grow his staff and internet connection when he needs to and that's when the problems begin. So it's a good idea to select a host who's been around a while and as straycat mentioned, good to check some references.

Thanks so much for your informed replies. The complete fxxx up that I am experiencing at present has given me a lot of stress and anxiety but the replies here have helped a lot. I hope to have it all sorted out in the next few days and choose a new host and get it all moved over there. I?ll let you know which choice I make and how it all goes.

Stick

Hi,

I assume you are joking, but just in case you are not...

You cannot seriously think that this is a good deal? There is no way they can offer 2000Gb of transfer for $300. What is likely the case is that their connection is so fucking slow that you can never reach even 20Gb a month. There will also be no support what so ever in case things fuck up (which will be often).

Sanuk!

Archived