Can this forum help to re-unite old friends?

Says Fiery Jack:

I'm very, very wary of this first post from a 'stranger'

I don't think I'd be so chuffed if I saw my real name posted on a board such as this by an anonymous stranger with a request for information about my current whereabouts.
:o

jack ::

Fiery Jack- You are of course right. It's just that I had to start somewhere. I'm an unknown here because I discoverd this forum at the same time I discovered the BKK Tonight forum. Which was just about six months prior to my discovering/vactaioning to 'the scene' and my baptism into it. Back then (18 months ago) I decided to focus mostly and post on the BKK Tonight board. So I did. Made 4 trips (14 weeks) hundreds of postings and lived the 44yr old divorced white American male meets the NEP/Grace/soapy heaven scene.

Fast forward to today. I'm a more settled (aging) divorced, American male, Thai sex-tourist veteran who is today blissfully happy that it rocked my world so much. And I write this deeply comforted to know that the delights of BKK await me whenever I can next find the opportunity to get back. In the interim though the BKK Tonight board got too racous and juvenile for me, maybe it grew too much too, then too the scene's appeal waned for me. I also was nearly addicted to the boards, posting , reading etc. and have ahd to seriously limit my time to get back into work reposnsibilities. In essence then BKK Tonight has been eliminated and here I only look once or twice a week, and even then I only read the relationships and nightlife threads. So, there's a bit about me.

As for this thread. Well, I posted it as a favor to the wife of one of these guys. Who I have a professional relationship with. In speaking to her about the marvels of these online communities I discovered (here I should include the TIT/Ajarn.com board which i read some as well) I couldn't reveal their nature, now could I? So, I offered to post on her husbands behalf and keep the boards identities out of it.

Let me ask you this then. What if you saw your real name posted on a board such as this (by an anonymous stranger) and it was in the context of, and reminded you about, a great friendship from your past. Would you forgive the invasion of privacy at the chance to get re-acquainted?

Gohok!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says SiLeakHunt:

That's funny that, I'm trying to track down a bloke who punched my lights out in the bogs of Madhatters' nightclub in Stoke then nicked my wallet.

The cunt was wearing lime green flared courdroys and a Stoke City shirt.

If you see him let me know.

Cheers

Yup, I know exactly the bloke to whom you refer. :: He's a poof :down: that frequently makes himself a nuisance on Oriental prostitution boards using the fake handle "Red Baron" or, occasionally, "Pattaya 127". ::

Hope that's helpful. :up:

jack (not my real name) :help:

Says khunsanuk:

Hi,

"Would you forgive the invasion of privacy at the chance to get re-acquainted?"

The question is more, 'do you have the right to make the decision for this person?'

Sanuk!

Two people are concerned here, not one. I have the consent of one. Does that make it half-right, half-wrong, all wrong, or all right? They were names only. No bar stories, no nothing else but a far off past. Is even an association with this board an admission of punterhood, scurillous behavoir, or a lack of character perhaps? I dunno.

I do know this, I proceeded with the post in the assumption that the PM function would preserve the remaining privacy of the parties concerned here. Does the power of the internet to connect people apply in virtual communities 'other' than this, but not this? Maybe I should send the guy to classmates.com and leave it at that.

I'll tell you this though too. I was given the assignment in June and 'sat on it' while I mulled over how to approach it. It wouldn't have taken me so long to post it if I cared nothing for their rights. Believe that!

So, my inital attempt didn't sit well with some members, offer me another approach then, based on the original script: If you wanted to find a friend who'd been last heard of in Phuket some 10 years ago and you lived half a world away where would you turn? Who would you contact?

The next best option I can think of, at this point, is to send an email to the expat-clubs which are listed on the thaivisa.com board (of which I just became aware during this past month). But, I would still have to divulge the parties names. Right? Would that be a better approach?

I would appreciate any other suggestions. or tips the members here could offer. Thanks!

GohoK

Gohok;

While your intentions may be honorable and above board, I believe the main reason for concern was your 'newness' here. If you had been here for 18 months posting as you says you have elsewhere, then I'm sure we would all feel more comfortable with your post and possible aide.

This, like all good boards is based on a certain amount of anonymous trust. Time is the only thing that can build that.

Certainly you can try the expats clubs, or an ad in the local paper where he was last know. Did you post on the 'other board"? There are even Private investigators available.

Again you may be perfectly sincere, but we have no way of knowing or judging that, so this board prefers to err on the side of caution. You may represent an old lost friend.........or an outraged wife, or a vengeful business partner. We just don't know.

Sorry, but I don't pick up hitch hikers any more either.

Try sticking around here, and get known, this board and it's members have found lost souls before. :grinyes::beer:

Says sayjann:

i will not make any comment on the subject matter,but i can vouch for Gohok.

he is new to this Forum,but i know him from old.

i think his intentions are good towards his friend.

not that my endorsement means anything.

welcome to NP Gohok.......
:up:

Yes, your verification is certainly important. :bow:

So OK, where do we send him to look. ?

Personally I would suggest a month or two's tour of LOS. And since he is looking for a Farang, one might have to check alot of beer bars and Gogos. A task more enjoyable with the company of a local lass. :rolleyes: Could be a long search. :grinyes::beer:

Seriously depending on the urgency of the hunt, there are options as I outlined.

The next best option I can think of, at this point, is to send an email to the expat-clubs which are listed on the thaivisa.com board (of which I just became aware during this past month). But, I would still have to divulge the parties names. Right? Would that be a better approach?

Think this would be a better approach. For anonymity's sake, only one or two people from each expat club would most likely read the emails (with both your and his name in it).. this board has over 6000 members (last time I checked), any one of who could have access to this potentially intrusive information. no matter how good your intentions are.

There are farangs all over Asia, who do not want to be found. Most of them seemed 'normal' before they chose to disappear too.

Archived