Can this forum help to re-unite old friends?

Greetings to the forum!

I?ve been a spectator now, and fond reader, to the forum for about 18 months, which was about six months prior to my first trip to the LoS. Where, were it not for discovering this forum, I would have been a very naive, accidental ( to ?the scene? wannabe) tourist heading to the LoS and it's delightful 'scene' which brings many here together. Well, between this site and the BKK Tonight site I went, came (many times ;)) and returned home a very different sort of a beast. But I digress?

Once upon a time there were two guys, good friends they were, who made music and jammed together in a band, back in ?the day? in the states. Well, time and tide swept each away from there.

[Edited from here - KS]

One was last heard to be teaching English, or maybe he was writing for a local paper, in Phuket.

[until here - KS]

Hard to say really, as one is lost to the other, but this is fact: one?s name is P. E. while the other is M. R.

With time passing along now, one of them wonders now, what became of the other? He?d like to renew acquaintances if it is possible.

As for me, I?m just the intermediary, as a friend to one of their wives, and knowing from this forum it?s a small, close community of farangs in Thailand, but also wanting to keep this site from their sphere of knowledge I therefore volunteered to post it here myself. And, in the interest of privacy, thought that if anyone recognizes them they could then send me a PM.

I think these forums are amazing virtual communities, amazing because they facilitate communities of interest and defy proximity in the process. So, I'll ask here for your help, and wonder still- Can this forum help to re-unite old friends? I think so, lets try and if it does I'll post the results here.

Thanks to all!

GohoK

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, why did you select a board name that translates to "I'm lying"?

In cases such as these, it's best etiquette to let someone know they are being looked for so they can decide whether they want to be found or not.

I'm very, very wary of this first post from a 'stranger' and feel uncomfortable that such information is allowed on the board and hasn't been edited or deleted yet. :( Nobody can be sure of true motives behind the second-hand broadcasting of persons' real identities, their locations, history and their business on a freely accessible internet website and/or an anonymous third party's claims to be searching for other named citizens. We aren't allowed to post prostitutes' real names or unambiguously disclose their identity here, so how come it's okay to spill the beans on a couple of blokes who, for whatever reason, might wish their current whereabouts to be kept secret from various parties? :nono:

I don't think I'd be so chuffed if I saw my real name posted on a board such as this by an anonymous stranger with a request for information about my current whereabouts. :o

jack ::

Says Escape Rabbit:

Hmm, why did you select a board name that translates to "I'm lying"?

In cases such as these, it's best etiquette to let someone know they are being looked for so they can decide whether they want to be found or not.

Why the name? Easy, the name found me. Seems I've got quite a sweetmouth and like to compliment the ladies, only they often times don't believe me apparently, so I end up hearing a lot of, "Bpak waan!" interspersed with, "Gohok!" We all need a nickname, right? Gohok! just kinda endeared itself to me. So, here I am, Gohok! Only I speak the truth but get confused for a liar, by the girls, who aren't used to my volume of compliments. Works for me; works against me. Seems a lot like life in general too though, doesn't it? Usually though, if we spend enough time together that come to realize I am sincere.

As far as etiquette- I fully agree with you. But the name of the game herer is name recognition. How can you let someone know they are being sought without using their name, especially when they are lost? My solution was to compromise and offer publicly 2 names, but note, the person who is presumed to live in Thailand is not specified. This attempts to preserve their anonymity. Also, I requested a PM response, not a public acknowledgement- that's as private as it gets. And lastly, I used both names because the context is vital to elicit trust. There is no nefarious plot lurking here, and it really is simply what it is- one guy looking for an old buddy. Nothing more nothing less. I thought that whoever might recognize the one named individual (presumed to still be in Thailand) could turn around and say, "Hey! XXXX is saw your name the other day. You used to know an XXXX they're looking for you." From there all would turn out copacetic between the parties.

Alas, now they're initials. What's my plan b gonna be? Anyone wanna help there? I'll make some more introductions as I go. But your advise would be helpful.

Thanks! Gohok!

Archived