Difficulities Continue with Sinsot

HSTEACH

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"more like 30K plus 2 or 3 bahts of gold, IME."

No, I think Josh has it pretty much nailed. Remember the girl is 36.

My brother-in-law got married last year (marriage lasted only 2-3 months but that's a different story), and he paid only 2,000 Baht (yes, two thousand, not a typo).

The 30K range would be for a young girl (say early 20-ish) from a decent family (i.e. with some land / 'wealth').

I attended my first Thai/Thai wedding about 6 months in tiny village in Korat. My GF's schoolfriend from the next village. She married a junior officer in the Thai navy and she is a nurse in BKK. She was pregnant (by him) at time of wedding and starting to show. Her house was quite smart judging by the rest in the village, albeit one big room but at least made of concrete and fully tiled. He paid sinsot of around 10 baht goldand about 50,000 baht in cash. Given I was the only farang, I had centre stage and saw them count the cash etc, all very ceremonial. My GF thought it quite excessive but she new that the girls parents were not keeping anything and passed it all back. Therefore these amounts are not as rare as people think. The girl was 27 and never married before with no other kids.

For what its worth, when we get married next year, we will offer 10 baht of gold and 50,000 baht in cash, purely co-incidence with this other couple. Mum will deduct cost of engagement party (as wedding will be in Pattaya) and give the rest back to my GF.

Cheers

but in the view of most Thais Farang are not able to truly make merit

----------------------

I beg to differ. Too many countles times, i/ve heard thai people asking me to come to the temple, or go see a famous monk, make a little offering or participate in a ritual, and that it will bring me good luck. that they mean in this life or another is unincidental, IMO.

The fact is, thais are one of the people who invite/involve you gladly to partake in their cultural/religious actions, not that you said the contrary.

Requests for large (non returnable) SinSots can also be seen when 2 Thais marry. It can put tremendous pressure on the young couple.

[color:"blue"]

True ... had a long chat with a Thai friend of mine recently on "sin sot" issue.

He said ...

His girlfriend's older sister got married and her parents received 100,000 baht sin-sot. My friend's gf is the youngest in the family.

My friend already paid 50,000 baht cash and 5 baht gold for "man" - engagement. He also paid for the party. He had to borrow money for this process. At the party, negotiated amount of 200,000 baht for sin sot was announced for a wedding one year later. The amount was negotiated down from 300,000 baht :eek: Understandably my friend could not come up with the money and his girlfriend's parents did not allow them to get married.

Now my friend and his girlfriend are living together in secret saving money together for later marriage.

They are from Issan but university educated in BKK with respectable jobs.

[/color]

Just had a call from my fiance who asked if I would meet with her mom in BKK , not the village, when I return at Christmas. She said this was a request from her mom. She said her mom would travel to BKK from the village to talk to me about sinsot.I don't know anything beyond that.

Think mom's reconsidering her request and BKK would be a better venue to discuss sinsot than the village?

Why in Bangkok instead of the village? Face??

IMO, quite possibly. In Bkk there will be no 'little ears' to carry about the 'terms' of negotiation. Now all you need is a highly respected Thai to sit in on your side.

Best of luck.

Says HSTEACH:

Just had a call from my fiance who asked if I would meet with her mom in BKK , not the village, when I return at Christmas. She said this was a request from her mom. She said her mom would travel to BKK from the village to talk to me about sinsot.I don't know anything beyond that.

Think mom's reconsidering her request and BKK would be a better venue to discuss sinsot than the village?

Why in Bangkok instead of the village? Face??

Are u going to have to pick up mom's expenses for her to come to BKK?

Archived