Buying a truck: Isuzu vs. Toyota ?

We've already made the decision to purchase a truck (4X4) instead of a car.

I've heard good things (and bad) about buying a Toyota or an Isuzu ... I think those are the two best options in LOS.

I'd like to hear some honest feedback from anyone who would like to offer advice, make comparisons, share good/poor experiences, recommend dealerships, etc., etc.

All responses are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go with the toyota. In general and mho, they're just better autos. Also, not sure about isuzu, but toyotas sold in LOS are built here. Meaning, you'll get a better price and maintenance(parts and service easily available). My friend got a Thai built Toyota Sportrider(basically a 4-Runner or maybe Land Cruiser). It's sweet.

Rasputin,

I believe the Isuzu is also assembled in LOS ... perhaps completely built there as well. I was on Googles web site (dealing with Thai social issues, etc.) & somehow I got the impression (maybe what I was reading was a joke or just wrong) that Isuzu outsold Toyota (trucks now) in the Kingdom by a wide margin.

I like the Toyota trucks & that is what the Mrs. wants (not that she knows anything about trucks ... but, then, neither do I!). :dunno:

? the models with the 'full size' rear seat with separate doors ... are they 2004's ?? ... and, whether they are or not, can anyone estimate a cost. I want an automatic, 4X4, with A/C & good stereo/CD player. And, like the Mrs. keeps remending me, it cannot be an unlucky color! :nono:

Also, since I'm in the States (just 6 days now before I return to LOS), is there a Toyota in America that compares to, or is similar to the 'Hilux?' .... if so, I could test drive it here and I'd get answers to all my questiions ... very tough for me over there, because I'm learning Thai very slowly! ... tough to teach an old dog like me new tricks! :grinyes:

Most Thai I use is in the bedroom; but, when I come up for air, & am out and about, I'm at a disadvantage.

The last year was a tough one for me ... dealing with the loss of my mother ... I'm the only one left! ... that was incentive enough to start a Thai branch on the family 'tree.' Now, that I've spent time in my hometown, visited her grave, etc. I have found closure, and I am at peace. Literally, I feel like a new man! ... just can't wait to return home to my wonderful wife & baby son (more like baby Huey :eek: ... if anyone remembers that cartoon?). Sorry ... I do digress sometimes!

:bow:

Just another moment of digretion: I love those wild, Chinese cartoons! :grinyes: ... great action & effects!

NPP,

Sorry to hear about the past year. Yup, I and my friends concur, 2003 sucked major donkey balls... It was always some kinda drama. Even in "paradise/los", you can't escape the drama.

Anyways, on the truck issue. Dude, get the toyota. IMO, isuzu's are crap. I've owned several toyotas and they were all really good. I think there is a pickup version of the sportrider here, it would resemble a hilux I think.

Bah screw it. Toyotas just look better! You know what you have to do man! :p

Thanks Johnny for the input.

Can you recommend a dealership? ... and, that raises another question for me: there is a Toyota dealership within walking distance on New Petchburi ... is it worth it to shop around for price savings or not?

If my memory serves me well, I believe 'whosyourddy' once replied that he had to wait way too long for his car (I believe Toyota) that he bought. My take on that, would be that, once we (more like she ! :cussing: chooses the 'right' color) to call around to locate a dealership who has what we want in stock.

Oh, to take the superstition aspects relating to purchasing a vehicle to another level, now, my wife just told me that it can only be bought on the day the monk will recommend! Well,

'when in Rome ...' applies here I guess.

Thanks for the pep talk!

... I will be test driving Toyota trucks in the States. Toyota at one time did sell a Hilux model over here; but, that was many moon ago. Today it's the Tacoma ... but, would it be the same engine ?? And, they now offer (I believe it's built in the States)

a larger truck (forget name) ... but, that's pretty highly rated.

The downside about the Tacoma (and, I think that's the one comparable to the Hilux in LOS) is that it used to do very poorly on the crash testing ... but, the results I'm referring to were from 3-4 years ago, I believe. And, with the way the Mrs. drives .... :censored: ... maybe I beter wear a crash helmet! :grinyes:

NPP,

The monk will tell you when and what color auto you should buy... Amasssing Thailand.

Not to sound retarded but if you're going to be using the auto mainly in Krungthep, the crash testing may be moot. You'll be zooming ahead at a blazing .5km/hour on suk. Otherwise if you're gonna be traveling outside bkk alot, get the SUV. Ya it's not that great with rollovers and crashes, but I'll tell ya what. You're more prone to survive against a toyota corolla type taxi cab in a big ass SUV IMHO.

Rasputin,

Where is 'Krung thep?' ... maybe I'm living in the middle of it and don't even know it! :dunno:

I hear you about the SUV; and, I agree that might be a safer choice, that is until you saw the way I drive! :eek: After all, I've spent a large part of my life learning how to survive driving in Boston & local areas ... I will not miss the f***ing road rage here! Competitive driving, that's more my style! ... maybe I should go for a 'hummer;' and, I don't mean at Lolita's! :hubba:

Bottom line: it comes down to money ... you know the scene: trucks cheaper than cars.

I'd rather have a more versatile truck than a small vehicle. Plus the 'H' position of the seats in a truck are more suitable for my back. Since we'll be moving out of BKK (probably before/on either Jan 25 or more likely on/before Feb 25) we'll go with 4X4.

Besides, when I'm in Isaan, remote area of (Chaiyaphum province), I'll be able to 'throw' the in-laws in the rear (not the back seat), probably with a dozen villagers or so who love a free ride into Chum Phae or Chaiyaphum city). Maybe I'll get a loud PA system and sell fruit or something! ::

The 4 wheel drive certainly would come in handy in many areas. Just look at the chaos created in Hua Hin by the recent heavy rains, release (water that is) from three dams and subsequent flooding ... maybe I'll keep a canoe in back, just in case! :clown: And, we were hoping to visit Hua Hin for Loy Krathong ... guess East Pattaya will have to do ... or maybe Chiang Mai? :dunno:

Archived