Buying a truck: Isuzu vs. Toyota ?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My doctor is urging me to move out of Bangkok. We're thinking about Hua Hin. If you've heard about the recent flooding, 4 wheel drive might help ... but, then again, how often does flooding to that degree occur there :dunno:

As far as the 'outback,' well my wife's village has some areas where 4 wheel drive would definitely come in handy; but, it's not necessary all the time & I will not be there all that much ... especially, if we have to drive from Hua Hin! Nothing is etched in stone ... I understand about the extra fuel ... I didn't know about the extra noise, however. It will come down to money & that may well result in our purchasing a regular truck. I appreciate the feedback. BTW, I remember that you warned me about leather seats being too hot. Hey, I sweat enough as it is ... there's another area I might be able to save money on! Thanks for the reality check ... it's nice to dream about what one considers the 'best possible choice;' but, paying for it is another story. Believe me, we'll be looking to save money where possible.

why a 4 wheel drive? they are noisier, drink more fuel, more expensive and slower (transmission losses) than 2 wheel. Unless you live in "the outback" they never make sense to me.

Surprisinly in Bangkok, it is much easier to navigate through traffic in a bigasshonking SUV than a sedan. Why? TIT. Bigger is Better. Ya know, bigger car=bigger money concept. You can also basically FORCE your way into a lane and the smaller cars WILL concede, they know they're screwed if they go up against a 4x4 :p . Plus, the sportrider is only 3-liter so mileage won't be that bad vs. something like a Ford Explorer.

I think that in the tight traffic of Bangkok a smaller sedan is easier to maneuver and park especially if the wife is driving. Some 4wd vehicles are difficult to judge where your bumpers and fenders are.

If cost is a factor 2wd is the way to go. Average person probably uses 2wd 99.9% of the time and when they use their 4wd it's usually a situation that could be avoided like checking out a back road. That's a lot of extra weight (500 pounds) to be hauling around all the time when you don't need it.

Having said that I prefer a 4wd because you ride higher for better visibility, they are built beefier and are nice to look at. Also unloaded 2WDs do get shitty traction off road.

A friend of mine recently bought a Toyota Sportsrider, 3 years old, 60,000km, in very good condition, for thb 600K. If I were you I would buy a second hand. Saves a lot and you get more car for your money. And yes it is possible to find reliable second hand cars easily. Isuzu outsells Toyota in the pick-up market by about 3 to 1.

" Saves a lot and you get more car for your money. "

A few years ago there were people who bought pre 97 cars that were selling them for more money than new cars. With the price of the bhat falling overnight they lost a shitload of money

But this is an ongoing debate. I was looking at a new honda civic conpared to 1-3 year olds. Savings would be about 20% or so. So for 20% savings you would get a car that you do not know the history of. Could have had an accident. could have never been maintained. I would buy a 2nd hand car here off a friend. never a stranger. Plus you have to register it , find insurance etc. where the dealer does that here for you. It was not worth it for us.

Personally, I think the Isuzu Cab4 DMax is nicer than the Tiger. The interior is better and its a nicer looking truck, and is very smooth at high speed.

However, two things I have against the D-Max, despite prefering it is:

a) automatic models feel underpowered when compared to the T. Tiger.

B) the whole of the D-Max front is fiberglass, meaning you MUST buy bull-bars to protect the truck's soft nose. The back as well requires a small bar. Cost 15,000 to 20,000 baht - not a lot, but if you don't like bull bars then I would'nt buy this truck, as without them a small accident at the front will make a bit of a mess.

However, one point aginst the T. Tiger is the recurringly problematic cylinder heads.

Quote from: http://www.businessinthailandmag.com/archive/oct00/13.html

"...sources said a large number of engine problems with the Hilux Tiger?s 3,000 cc diesel engine have been one of the main reasons for the market decline. Even Toyota dealers have admitted that there are many cases of overheating resulting in damage to the cylinder head,?

On a general note, one thing I check for is maintainance costs. One of the things I check is the timing system. Many use belts, but I believe Toyota went back to chains. Chains are a bit more reliable, as they don't stretch, or snap, thus less chance of damage. A belt last between 60-90,000 miles and costs about $500+ in the USA to repair at a shop. A chain lasts indefinitely, and with no chance of slippage, provides for better timing over time.

We went with Toyota. We bought a truck this week at Phithan Phanich Ltd. Toyota on New Petchburi Rd.

This beauty came from the showroom. I won't buy it if I can't see it! :up: ... also got to test drive it ... yes, it's still in one piece! :grinyes:

It's the 4 door, 4WD Sport Cruiser (3.0 4WD 'G' Ltd ... automatic) ... can shift on the fly from 2WD to 4WD. It came with a 16 valve, turbo-charged diesel 3.0 engine.

It's a 2004 model; and, came in the new charcoal-grey metal flake finish with silver trim ... looks sharp! The alloys were standard. Also, it came with 4-spkr. stereo CD-player/AM/FM tuner with tape. The alarm system was included (2 boxes) ... also came with extra, front-hood mirror, the plastic rain guards for windows, tinted glass, etc. The saleslady gave us our choice of colors for the leather interior ... usually a 20,000. Bt upgrade (on some models) ... it will take a couple of days to switch interior ... also, thrown in to make sale was bedliner, one year's insurance (worth ~ 20,000. Bt.), and floor mats. If I forgot anything, I'll let you know ... oh, mud guards for the wheels.

This is a legitimate, 4 door truck ... plenty of room in the rear & the seats are quite comfortable. For my money, this offers more room and comfort (plus better view of the road) than the Corolla.

The price: 878,000. Bt., not cheap, but ... almost 120,000 Bhat less than the 1.8 G automatic Corolla Altis ... we did see a 4x2 Sport Cruiser ... much less base price ... but, with extras added, it could not compare to the deal on the truck we bought ... now, I hope the monk was right about purchasing on a 'lucky' day!

FB, can you give directions to the Outback? :dunno:

... and, you did warn me about leather seats! ... but, try to convince the Mrs!

whosyourdaddy: I had hoped to take you up on your generous offer ... but, this was in stock, and the 'pressure' (not from saleslady :cover: !) was on!

In a few days, I imagine I'll be hopelessly lost in Bangkok!

"meaning you MUST buy bull-bars to protect the truck's soft nose. The back as well requires a small bar. Cost 15,000 to 20,000 baht"

I paid 4000 baht for the front one and 6000 baht for the back one. The back one costs more due to it being of solid metal.

I also looked at the Tiger, but decided to buy the D-Max - and I don't regret it.

Fredro

Archived