Very disappointed in Angel Witch

PhatPhak

As if the price hike to 125 baht a beer/mixed drink was not enough, Angel Witch has now taken flavored mixers off the table when opening a bottle of liquor. Went to open a bottle of Black Label the other night, not a cheap option at 2,100 baht, but one I have done before, only to learn that five measly bottles of soda water were the only mixers you get included.

More annoying, I had to ask the waitress five times about the mixers before she admitted that coke or sprite were no longer included. I am not sure as to the price because I requested both coke and sprite, and was told 200 baht. I don?t know if that was each, because the waitress only mentioned coke. I also don?t know if it was for a small bottle. Regardless, it is ridiculous to charge 2,100 baht and not include mixers. A quick spot check of the other expensive Nana venues had the highest price I could find at 2,000 (Play School I think) but everyone including mixers.

This is just unmitigated greed and an attempt to squeeze every last baht out of a customer. According to the waitress, it changed two months ago. My friends and I left the bar as we have all seen the show many times. I won?t be back unless friends are in from out of town, in which case, I will be happy to nurse a beer all night.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very short sighted of the bar. You obviously enjoy to open a bottle every so often and for the sake of a few baht extra profit I feel sure you are unlikely to ever buy another bottle at that bar.

I know the bars are there to make a profit but it never pays to piss your customers off.

Well I know it doesnt make much sense. Here in Vegas it is much the same way though. They figure your on vacation and will spend the money. They honestly dont care if they ever see you again. The sense is that hey if you want to come to Vegas you will pay the price. I have worked for several people that are like that. I had a boss that raised the beer prices to an exobatant level and then bitch ed at and fired the waitress's that didnt sell enough of them. This is the same boss that once declared that he didn't understand why he had to pay the wait staff, because after all "they make tips".

Now for most of the rest of the world this makes bad business sense, but here it is admired. In LOS I think it is a very similar idea. You are a farlang period you are rich period. You are to be taken advantage of period. You are dumb and it would be a loss of face to not take advatage of that.. You will pay or leave, makes no difference. If you come back and continure to pay thats fine, if you don't thats fine. The bottom line is they could care less, they have no concern about whether you spend your money there or not. But if you do, they care that they get the maximum amount. Its like the face thing. It can make no "sense" but if it saves or gives face that is all that matters. For example it is more important to "look" successful than it is to actualy be successful. I have a teacher friend who once said the key to keeping his job was to wear the "right" clothes on the right days, and to make sure that the students liked him rather than be thought of as a good teacher. As long as the students thought he dressed like a "teacher" and was a nice person, he was looked at as an asset. If he demanded or expected the students to do any real work, he would be out of a job instantly. This type of mind set can drive us non-thais nuts. but hey TIT. Take the bad with the good.

I think it is much simpler than that Dave;no need to tie in the farang-Thai-face continuum. Tourist oriented places the world over charge high prices because they CAN. No different than the ridiculous charges for items in a hotel honor bar. You will pay $5 for that chocolate candy that costs $1 in the supermarket because YOU WANT IT! The hotel knows you will PAY IT!

You will pay 2000bt for a bottle of whisky in a go-go bar because you WANT IT. Your there to party and have a good time. Overpriced goods will not be an obstacle. The bar owner knows you will PAY IT!

I bitch all of the time about paying $10 for a cocktail in a Los Angeles bar but me and the rest of the drinking patrons will pay it because we WANT THAT DAMN DRINK! It's the price you pay to be part of the scene.

it sucks but that is economics.

Dave...........I am not sure I agree with this. Business is the same in Thailand as it is anywhere else. If you have the mindset that you don't care if the customer spends money or not in your business, you soon won't have one. If they are selling the same bottle for a cheaper price with mixers next door, that is a no brainer. I know AW has decent shows and you would have to weigh that in your decision as to whether or not you want to pay higher prices for the show or not. Maybe the management is figuring that the show and the girls there are enough to bring in the big money. That is his business decision and he'll have to live by it. If you can get the same products at a cheaper price somewhere else, however, then the decision may not be a good one. Time will tell.

Troy

There was a lot of discussion about the price hike of drinks to Bt125 a month or so and yet people forget that the Thais only think for today and don't figure that you will ever be back. In their idea, there is an endless supply of tourists who come here once, get fleeced and never come back. If it were that simple, then OK.

The reality is that it is a fine balance. We want to be there and if we do, they we have to pay. You rightly say however that if all you want is to see the show etc. then you can nurse one beer for an hour.

On the same venue, different question, I thought that the attitudes of the girls in AW the last couple of weeks has deteriorated. Maybe the lack of customers has made them hardened more than usual but I had to tell a couple of them to fook off when they started to change their tune at 2am. Also, barfined one, went to get changed and pissed off with another guy. A free beer and barfine back from mamasan but I will be giving it a wide berth for a while until I hear reports of a return to more acceptable service.

And of course, the latest word from Stickman is that Nana beer prices are set to rise to 135 baht. Oh, well. I have largely given up on Nana. If I want to see a show, I'll stop in somewhere about showtime, have A beer while it's on, then skedaddle to Soi Cowboy or other parts.

Says torrenova:

There was a lot of discussion about the price hike of drinks to Bt125 a month or so and yet people forget that the Thais only think for today and don't figure that you will ever be back. In their idea, there is an endless supply of tourists who come here once, get fleeced and never come back. If it were that simple, then OK.

I was under the impression that many of the Nana bars were managed, owned/co-owned by farang and not Thais.

Archived