Thai Airways Service NRT-BKK

think_too_mut

I do the NRT - BKK trip often enough. For some reason the airlines do not overextend themselves much on this route despite its longish nature (6 hours, give or take). So for me, I view it as a bus or bullet train ride. I am fortunate that it?s not the "junior" leg of a longer trip to/from some other land as is the case with a significant bunch on board and on the board. So I have a higher tolerance level . For me the key is to take a redeye back to Japan so I can sleep through the shoddy service. But that is not always a viable option for those passing through Narita since the connectors leaving Japan are usually part of the evening rush starting at around 4PM. So sitting around NRT is not the rosiest alternative. Anyway here?s my lowdown:

ANA - Probably the best of the bunch. Offers redeye service to Tokyo. Professional and super courteous service, top-shelf fleet. These guys are one of my fave airlines. I just rode NH10 last week to NY, and even though I was in coach, the flight was outstanding,

JAL - Also quite good. If anything, you know that the staff will follow every rule down to the last detail meaning you will receive high-level Japanese service, an edible meal or two - all on a well-equipped plane. Problem with them is that you will not be able to deviate from the regulations with an unusual request or any minor rule bending such as bringing on extra luggage. However they offer a night flight back which, last time I was on, was half full so I was given a seat upstairs (economy section on their 747s) and was able to stretch out across an entire empty row.

Thai - Ahhh TG. Fucking TG. Well if you want to extend the Thai culture and attitude beyond Don Muang this is the airline for you. Total fucking crapshoot down to the seat model and aircraft. It?s like being in Nana. Never know what surprise will be tossed your way. For instance, I took the early afternoon flight back to Japan last month and when food service was being offered the attendants totally screwed up and somehow my row was one of the last to be served even though everyone around me was chowing down. So the steward tells the Japanese guy next to me that there is only one food choice left, some frightening seafood medley. Japanese being Japanese - he readily accepts to avoid confrontation. My turn - same bold statement - something to the effect like "this meal is all we have so deal". Now years of flying have taught me not to expect much but it also has gotten me super premier status on most alliances including the Star. I do expect a little deference for paying my dues - not an upgrade or fawning over by the staff - but a better seat, such as an emergency row, and a full compliment of meal choices will keep me happy. So I look him in the eye and calmly say "I am not going to eat that slop, please find me another meal - even if you have to pull it from Business or First" - remember the lack of choice was due to the staff?s bungling of the process and somehow forgetting my row. Another meal was located after a few moments - not the greatest but certainly not as deadly as what Sato-san next to me had to endure. But that is Thai for you - second rate airline from a second-tier Asian country. Period. I wonder sometimes how they earned acceptance into the Star Alliance and are allowed to rub shoulders with ANA, Lufthansa, UAL, Air Canada and the lot (LOT? - for you airline junkies). God, the way-superior Bangkok Air must be scratching their heads wondering what politics are precluding them from being part of this alliance. An upside to Thai is that they do offer two redeye flights to Tokyo, I believe, so the option of sleeping through the unexpected is increased by their friendly schedule. For me, Thai is truly the joker in the NRT-BKK-NRT deck of cards.

UAL - My namesake flight, number since changed. UAL is akin to taking a fancy Greyhound bus over from Tokyo. Always crowded and cramped, no options (only one daily flight each way including the horrid sunriser out of the Big Mango), borderline surly service, and a nasty landing slot at Narita meaning at least a two hour wait for the connector. But for me there are plenty of positives. Always on time, if not early. Superior treatment as a premier flyer and TONS of flexibility regarding bending rules. Alright food - Roppongi-san, cup of noodle (as a snack) is actually a fair choice. Shit, it?s ramen which most Tokyo-ites eat with regularity anyway. Your friend needs to get off his high horse especially if he is accustomed to that thing called Qantas - and American service that will understand the odd request and generally follow through. Also lots of Westerners on board which can be a plus. I rarely talk to the folks sitting next to me but on old 875 I have had some interesting and fun conversations.

Northwest Orient - No comment. I refuse to fly them.

Now TTM, I don?t know why you paid so much for that ticket other than you waited to the last of moments to buy? Plenty of bucket shops around Tokyo (one of which is conveniently located in Shinjuku across the street from the place I occasionally go to at lunch to get a handjob from cute Japanese students earning extra dough for the latest Gucci and Louie V. offerings!) that cater to these routes and to western travelers. More than a grand USD seems out of line even in the most dire of situations, the most I ever shelled out was about $550.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UAL875, you are the worker! Spot on analysis except you forgot to say that NW leaves one hour after UAL and arrives only 30 minutes later. :grinyes:

You can keep that United ramen slop. I'll see you on ANA for the 'sizzling' kobe beef. :up:

I agree with you, Roppongi. Service, price and schedules are the deciding factors. I was having a rotten day that day with whiners paying next to nothing and then telling me they would never fly my airline again cuz they didn't get a 12 course meal or they didn't get to fly the plane or for whatever reason. Well, take back your 200 bucks you paid to fly from LAX to the midwest and shove it up your ass. I better not get started. Anyway, I feel a little better now and after my next vacation in Bkk, I will be cured. Not till Feb though so you'll all have to put up with me till then. :neener:

Troy

>Now TTM, I don?t know why you paid so much for that ticket other than you waited to the last of moments to buy?

It's getting even worse: for my Dec 20th trip, by in-house American Express travel agent I am being quoted 140K Yen (1400US$) on CX via Hong Kong, waitlisted on TG, UAL have closed their waitlist.

Found one cheap ticket, 40KYen (400US$) but it's on Air India thank you very much.

> Plenty of bucket shops around Tokyo (one of which is conveniently located in Shinjuku

That's where I am. I'll PM you.

TTM, you're gonna pay that leaving around Dec. 20. Prices double around Dec 17, triple from around Dec. 26 and return to $400 standard from Jan 10 or so. End of January/Feb is always a cheap time to fly.

US$1400? Bollocks!

TTM,

I cannot comment on the Y-class service on TG but I can tell you that you paid a too high amount of JPY. Why didn't you try a Japanese travel agency? No. 1 Travel - located in Shinjuku does sell Air only tickets to all destination in East and SE Asia. They advertise regularily in the Japan Tmes. Their fares are about 40-50.000 JPY only. Just give them a try on your next flight to BKK.

>No. 1 Travel - located in Shinjuku

Found their web site, (www.no1-travel.com), prices are as you guys said.

However, they have a picture of Air India aircraft on their main page, hope those cheap (or fairly priced?) flights are not with them.

Their office is closed today and I can't ask who's the carrier.

Edited my post to add: deeper in their site, they have NW and UA flights for around 50K, for stays between 3 and 30 days, fixed dates. I'll give it a try tomorrow, hope it's not all booked out.

Little tangent here - just got back from the States and needed a quick, no frills pick-me-up which I received in the form of an excellent blowjob from one of the workers in that place across the street from No. 1 Travel I alluded to in an earlier post from this thread. Yes, No. 1 is closed on Sundays and holidays but it definitely is in business as I saw their 7f billboard while exiting my fun shop. And yes, I have booked flights on UAL, TG, ANA, JAL and Asiana through No. 1 so don?t worry about your ticket being on an airline that caters to/is operated by goat herders, swamis, medicine men and/or snake charmers?.which means make sure you tell them ?No Northwest? har har har :neener:

TTM, other cheap, good sources for travel deals out of Japan include:

HIS -- the parent company of No. 1 Travel and probably the biggest agent in Japan. No English on their web site so get a secretary to help or use it as a source of study. :grinyes:

And ab-road publisher of a huge travel magazine.

Archived