Thai Airways Service NRT-BKK

think_too_mut

I also recently flew economy on TG (BKK-SYD-BKK) on some ol' clapped out 747 and was of the same opinion that the level of service has gone to the soi puppies. Who the F#%K picks the movies for these flights? Charlie's Angels?! The only good thing about my flight was it was free and the drinks kept coming. :beer: :beer:

Strongly disagree that in coach class you're only paying to safely get from A to B. Not this cat. I will have my 6 beers, two bottles of wine etc as per advertised contract.

If hosties draw the curtains, push the lamp and drag them out! If they don't show, walk up to the den of sin and pull the curtain just as the 'crew' pour themselves a glass of bubbly. Never had a problem.

TTM, next time fly ANA -- personal screens, decent food, friendly staff, and cold beer. Should try to avoid flying on Japanese long weekends, though. US$1100? Ouch!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Says Roppongi:

Strongly disagree that in coach class you're only paying to safely get from A to B. Not this cat. I will have my 6 beers, two bottles of wine etc as per advertised contract.

I am not trying to start a pissing match but the above statement is just plain wrong. When you purchase your ticket from anywhere to anywhere, that is for air travel in the class booked to get you where you want to go. Period. Anything the airline may provide you inflight is a bonus. I don't purchase my ticket and immediately wonder what the movie is gonna be or call the airline and ask what the choices of food are. In fact, people bitch all the time about the food on the airplane but when they get on, they always want to eat. What's up with that?? As far as booze goes, it is nice to have a few on there but again, I don't buy my ticket to get ripped on the plane. Who pays several hundred dollars for beers?? I don't. I pay my money for a ticket and expect to get to where I am scheduled to, safely. The other posts above here are just confirming what I posted earlier. More for less. Have a good day.

Troy

TE1,

meaning for a 12 hours flight you buy your own food and an alcool cooker and a barrel or two Singhas etc. What about toilets, should they offer toilets. If yes, what about toilet paper ??

To make a long story short : if somebody cares to look into a (Thai) timetable , there is an explanation if they intend to serve anything or not. If they promise food, it's part of the contract.

Bbill

>if somebody cares to look into a (Thai) timetable , there is an explanation if they intend to serve anything or not. If they promise food, it's part of the contract.

Just looked into my itinerary. It says: "SERVICE:MEAL" for both flights.

They probably refer to the breakfast that was served 5 hours after departure from BKK.

BB- Not to be argumentative, but when you read the fine print in the airlines Conditions of Carriage there is nothing that stipulates that providing meal service is a part of the contract with you... It's scary when you read the Conditions exactly what's covered and what's not... In reality no airline will ever not "deny" you a promised meal.. If there was a foul up with the catering most airlines will voucher you..

The biggest rip-off in that whole "contract" is the allowance provided to you for lost luggage on international flights (and domestic legs of an international journey) which is (as I recall) only 9.07/kg up to the max weight of your bag. This is not even close to the value (even greatly depreciated value) of your bag and it's contents... This is, in my opinion, the biggest "whole" in the current Contract of Carriage..

--UPSer

Whitney--

I can say from first hand knowledge that the CEO of Continental does indeed fly COACH (yes coach) on ALL his travels.. I have actually flown a few rows behind him on a IAH-EWR and IAH-FLL legs.. I also know several people within the airline that tell me that when he flys to the Asia he again travels coach.. I am sure that this is, by far, the exception to the rule and not the rule... Should it be? yes.

Within UPS... ALL of our management ranks (up to and including our CEO) jumpseat on our aircraft when flying for business purposes... Only when a jumpseat on a UPS aircraft cannot be found is permission granted for commerical.. and with the frequency we fly that is not very often.

If you've ever seen the movie Castaway... that's what a jumpseat looks like AT BEST... only on trans-pac and trans-atlantic planes do we have the wider seats.. most of the time it's much smaller or is literally a jumpseat behind the F/O or F/E.

--UPSer

Its nice to know that there is at least one CEO type that can handle coach seating.

I just wonder how much further coach can degenerate further before the brakes are put on. I continue to be amazed that there has not been a substantial increase of air rage incidents.

Coach has really become a mutation of air transport as far as human transport goes, with the limited physical space available ::

UPSer,

I worked 9 years for Cargolux Airlines (CV) and was pissed off with my boss (VP Finance) flying C to Hongkok with LH iso flying CV, B474/200 with 14 bus seats in top, but no stewards. Warm your own food in the oven when you're hungry, I liked that...

I once flew with my boss' boss (a senior VP, yeap we had that useless level of management under the president and CEO), He pissed of the first pilot by requesting food and drinks all the time.

Grrrr

Nice to read there are decent people out there in the industry.

I am not trying to start a pissing match but the above statement is just plain wrong. When you purchase your ticket from anywhere to anywhere, that is for air travel in the class booked to get you where you want to go. Period.

Troy, legally you're probably right but when was the last time you saw an airline ad boasting that they can safely fly you from A to B?? It's taken for granted nowadays. Customer satisfaction is all about service, scheduling and ticket cost.

Are coach class passengers' expectations too high? I don't think so. Not compared to years gone by. It's only when you fly first or business class and see what airlines *can* do for you, that you realize how much airlines shaft economy passengers. UAL once served a mate of mine cup noodles on a BKK-NRT flight. Result? He hasn't flown with them since. Maybe they'll learn one day. :dunno:

thalenoi--

We call jumpseating "BYOE"... Bring Your Own Everything.. Only on slected trans-pac flight and a few trans-atlantic legs do we actually have catering.. Even then the catering is a cold "bag" type meal.. want it hot? go micro it yourself. Want coffee? Go get it yourself.. Within the company the running prank in the rookies is that the flight ops department never tells them that there is no food at all onboard. Once they get onboard and get hungry they head for the galley and find it totally empty except for a few coffee bags and papercups.

Happened to me too! first trans-pac leg was ANC-KIX and no one told me to bring food.. 9 hrs with nary a crumb of food!

UPS is really strict about management flying on non-UPS aircraft.. Not only is it (in many cases) an avoidable expense, but the message it sends... I have to get permission from three different people to go commerical and then it is only because either we don't fly on that specific date, all the seats are taken or due to crew scheduling I am required to fly dead-head. I my 9+ years with the company I know of only 2 people who violated this rule. Both were reprimanded (reduction in their annual bonus) and were docked the full cost of their commerical ticket.

--UPSer

Archived