Computer trying to start a second I'net connection

khunsanuk

>> Not sure if it is the modem or the ISP (using MWeb, btw).

Could be the ISP, I had similiar problems when in China, and was the ISP. Why don't you give a try using another ISP?

>> I *really* do not want to reinstall my operating system.

Nobody wants, but the benefits could be great.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had some problems before too and did the same thing. Together with deleting all connection and inserting a new one, it worked for me. But, you are right; I also was a bit shy to post it.

Hi,

The problem with changing ISPs is that this problem only appears sporadically. I can go for weeks without it happening, and then it can hit 3 times within an hour.

Checked for updated drivers, but there weren't any. Reinstalled the current ones, but no change I think :(

Sanuk!

Says khunsanuk:

Hi,

The problem with changing ISPs is that this problem only appears sporadically. I can go for weeks without it happening, and then it can hit 3 times within an hour.

Checked for updated drivers, but there weren't any. Reinstalled the current ones, but no change I think
:(

Sanuk!

That IMO makes the ISP an even more likely candidate.

Ah, good excuse to upgrade to broadband anyway. :grinyes:

Yeah,

you know this is KS, running an internet board, and then comes little kid suggesting him easy things.

KS,

you use Internet Explorer? I assume so.

Go to extras - options - connections. Activate 'Never dial connection'. Then make an internet connedtion, start your browser and go somewhere. Kill the internet connection while the browser is still active. The popup to make the connection should not appear now. This would solve the second part of the problem.

For the first part: as it can be weeks without problems I do not think it's the modem and strongly suggest to try another ISP next time the problem arises. I don't say the new ISP will be any better. Oh, forgot, when your ISP has several numbers for dialup (had that in Jakarta once) you might try another number for the same ISP. The first and last numbers from these lists are usually used by more people than the other numbers.

Good luck.

Hi,

"and then comes little kid suggesting him easy things."

:)

"you use Internet Explorer? I assume so."

Nope, not since I found Mozilla. Will not touch IE anymore.

"Oh, forgot, when your ISP has several numbers for dialup (had that in Jakarta once) you might try another number for the same ISP."

This could be part of the problem. My ISP (Mweb/KSC) does have a number that they say is better to use, but there is some problem with TAT and I am unable to call this number.

When this first started I did contact the ISP, and they looked into it. Unfortunately they could not find anything. Oh well, maybe I should look into ISDN...

Sanuk!

Hi KS,

Since you have had this problem for 1 year, my suggestion is an unlikely scenario. But I will mention it anyway. The Blaster virus kills internet connections, and generates a RPC timeout or somewhat. Its a new virus however, since August and I am sure you have a good scanner anyway. If not, fixes and scanners can be downloaded from the net.

Cheers and I hope you find out the problem!

I would buy a new modem myself. You know you need a spare. ::

Believe it is the combo of the two modems being probably enough apart in specs to cause a problem; and we can blame the one at the ISP. But I have had a NoName/Acer/Supa(2)/Aztech/D-link in the last 6 years and each has become sick and died. Good thing they are cheap now.

On thing I have noticed on MWeb is that this month not getting busy signals on the 9xx number. Last month it took about 5-10 times to get through.

MWeb does have a no activity time out of 15 minutes but assume that will disconnect you.

Hi,

RPC, no can't be. Plugged that hole already.

Dialer? Yeah, considered that as well, but cannot find any trace of it.

New modem? Considering it. Heard someone here once mention that a USB modem is slightly faster than a serial modem (my modem is ~5 years old I think).

Sanuk!

Archived