Computer trying to start a second I'net connection

khunsanuk

Hi,

I am getting seriously pissed off here. For some reason often when I am online, my connection dies completely. The connection stays open, but no traffic flows in or out anymore. The only option is to kill the connection and restart it.

Now, what gets me with this is that 9 out 10 times as soon as I kill the connection a new connection window appears immediately, kinda like it was already opened.

This makes me believe that there is something on my computer that wishes to connect to the Internet and starts up this window. A new connection being requested then interferes with my current connection and I need to kill everything.

Obviously the question now is does anybody have any clue what the fuck is going on, and even more importantly how I can fix it?

Sanuk!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think your thoughts are right, just trying to find out which proggie want to connect. I use ZoneAlarm firewall and an added feature of that proggie is that you can stop proggies from connecting to the 'Net if you like -- either it will always block, or ask you if it is OK, or you can say OK at all times.

The firewall function is a good reason to have it anyway. http://www.zonelabs.com -- pick the free version (just ZoneAlarm, not Pro or Plus) as it has all the really necessary functionality.

Cheers,

SD

Hi,

"Have you tried running Spybot to search for nasties?"

Yeah, just updated the files 2 days ago. No problem.

"Have you installed anything new recently that could be causing this? Or have anything that is configured to dial up automatically?"

Nothing new, but then again this has been going on, on and off, for about a year already.

Sanuk!

KS,

dunno what browser you use, and what kind of modem.

I had that problem earlier with an analog modem and one specific ISP. Traffic on the open connection would just die and I had to close it.

When then you have the setting in your browser to dial up when you have no connection IE ( Netscape too, Opera not) immediately will prompt you to make the connection after you closed the active one.

I changed the ISP and problem gone.

I'm a bit shy to offer that 'cause I think you know that already.

Yeah,

I also thought it to be the modem (had it with sisters PC, no USB or serial modem working, but PCI modem no problems) and changed the modem on my PC. Problem stayed. Checked with other ISPs, problem gone. Sometimes it's good to have a few spare parts around. So I could narrow it down to the ISP.

I would try the following things:

1.- Uninstall the modem drivers. I suposse that you're using a dial-up connection.

2.- Reinstall the drivers again, check you get the latest ones for your OS.

If still fails... then time to thing reinstalling the OS, I know that is a PITA but you'll not regret yourself doing it., even considering the time you might have to spend doing that.

Archived