The King of Thanon Sukhumvit

buddha

He is there everyday without fail for the last 3 years. He lounges about oogling GTGs, BGs, ladyboys, falangs, and anyone who passes.

For all intents and purposes he is as constant a landmark as the 'dwarf' stickman called attention to in a weekly months ago.

We sometimes discuss odd 'characters' that somehow become part of the nightlife scene and I think he [perhaps she] finally deserves merit because of consistancy.

He is the black and white spotted dog that sleeps on the Sukhumvit sidewalk between the 'Adidas shop' 'Bookstar', and 'Starbucks', just before one reaches Soi five.

How leisurely he sprawls out. Taking up just enough space on perhaps Bangkoks most travelled sidewalk. I watch everyday as hordes of people pass around, over, and past him.

He truly owns his space and it is shit like this that really makes me recoil with laughter truly appreciating how strange and wonderful a place this is.

I have only known about him for three years, anyone else can track him farther?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] Yes, I am an even-numbered Soi, Sukhumvit guy. [/color]

Funny how I have no idea who you make reference to, yet not so unbelieveable as I spend most of my time on the 'ODD' [mind you not queer] numbered soi's.

I will make a point of checking him out next time I am passing by.

Well I have been living in klong San about 2 years and remember that dog for the three years(maybe 2 1/2 years) while I was on Suk Soi 8

so...we are looking at a reign of around 4 years plus. I have a lot of respect for that dog. I give him a bit of food now and then- and chuckle softly to myself as I

step AROUND HIM.Hes a good boy- :: ::

I have been photographing that dog since April 2002. Not only does he stay in the same place, he actually stays on the exact same square of concrete. It's amazing.

That dog represents everything I love about Bangkok and Thailand - live and let live.

In San Francisco or London he would have been kicked out of the way after two hours. But here, it's just, sabai sabai.

Archived