Thais and mobile phones

danish30

Very true, Rabbit.

Unfortunately most Thais have no phone manners either. They presume you can recognise their voice when calling you, fkn annoying to have to ask every caller , what IS your name please? ::

>any phone conversations without excusing yourself and leaving the room, is absolutely out of the question.

As a comparation, every carriage in Tokyo trains has a sign saying "Switch your mobile phone to "manner" mode and refrain from talking while in the carriage". Never heard one single ring nor somebody talking.

Near the seats for the needy there is a sign that noone with a mobile phone in the pocket or bag should come close - it may interfere with pace makers!

On the Shinkansen train, after any passenger boarding (5 stops Tokyo - Hiroshima) an anouncement goes with "Switch off..." and use the phones only in the vestibule area between the carriages.

Says danish30:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

Doesn't have to be over polite like in the US where they can't pick the phone without asking how you are doing today. Just a bit of normal concern about the people they interact with.

Just for the record, when doing business in the US with somebody, I almost always will say something personal, usually along the very lines of which you speak, such as, "How's your day going?".

With the shitty where-is-my-next-dollar-coming-from, impersonal transactions that occur here in the States way too frequently, to stop for just a moment and change the tone of things generally has a positive effect on everybody.

My experience has been that the Thais do something similar, with questions regarding food and destination, just something to be polite, without being TOO polite.

That said, the lack of queuing etiquette tests my patience. My other pet peeve: those who stand directly in front of the BTS doors when passengers are trying to disembark. Since I am a solid 91 Kg, usually with a large shoulder bag of some kind, I find that stepping briskly and smartly straight out of the doors has a remarkable effect on parting the startled masses. I know, not a very Buddhist approach, but ...

Just my take on things.

KK, feeling defensive today, for some reason! :)

I've started going to these Thai nights they have here in Britain.Most of the girls there seemed obsessed with these camera phone thingies at the moment :(.Over here it is a prestigue thing.

I remember on Koi Samui in january taking a freelancer whom I met at the Bauhaus doggie style whilst she was talking to her boyfriend on het mobile ::.

"That said, the lack of queuing etiquette tests my patience."

LOL! The Thais are actually not bad in this respect. I have to travel to mainland China often for work. Now there is a group of people with absolutly NO IDEA how to queue for anything. Bloody grannys will run you over to be the first on board. Rude & obnoxious!

Cheers,

SD

Just for the record, when doing business in the US with somebody, I almost always will say something personal, usually along the very lines of which you speak, such as, "How's your day going?".

With the shitty where-is-my-next-dollar-coming-from, impersonal transactions that occur here in the States way too frequently, to stop for just a moment and change the tone of things generally has a positive effect on everybody.

My experience has been that the Thais do something similar, with questions regarding food and destination, just something to be polite, without being TOO polite.

Hi Khun_Kong,

Don't take it too serious I was being a bit too harsh I think, but sometimes when doing business in the US, talking on the phone with people I don't know and who doesn't know me, starts asking how am I doing or how is my day, it makes me think it is too much. Must admit though that I do the same whenever I am in the US, don't want to be thought of as being impolite.

Best regards,

Danish30

Archived