EC Draw

limbo

BB,

Nice to see you posting again :)

I was not comparing the Germans and Belgians. I just informed the people on this board that there's something special going on when Holland faces Germany and Belgium.

I agree that it's a completely different history.

BTW, I miss Preud'homme. (ex-Benfica, my favorite club)

IMO one of the greatest keepers :up:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zaadje,

So, please do not mention us and those others in the same sentence, ok ????

And I never stopped posting :)

As for Michel, he married a girl from my village, he lives here about 1 km away from me, and is the trainer of Standard de Liege, so still quite active here.

truly a nice guy, but the most famous one here is Jean-Marie Pfaff, he got once the title of best keeper in the world !

Cheers !

I heard lots about Mr. Pfaff but have unfortunately never seen him in action. Not that I remember.

At the moment there are quite a few Belgians playing in Holland.

My guess is that they're either learning from the Dutch how to shoot the ball or they're spying on us. :D

>>At the moment there are quite a few Belgians playing in Holland.<<

Now, the Belgians are playing in the better leagues... ;)

>> I heard lots about Mr. Pfaff but have unfortunately never seen him in action. Not that I remember.<<

In Germany, he was a very popular goalkeeper during his time at Bayern Munich (1982 - 1988).

Re Dutch/ German: Currently, I only know of Huub Stevens working as a trainer in the Bundesliga. He was very successfully with Schalke 04, but he is most probably going to be sacked soon. Are there more players right now?

Btw, what happened to Johan Cryff? Is he still in the business? I think, it is/ was the most famous Dutch player?

Here is his FIFA-portrait:

- http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/02/en/pf/h/cp/ned/cruyff.html

Yeah, I don't see Huub Stevens coaching Hertha BSC next year. Who knows.

There are at least 5 to 6 Dutch guys in the Bundesliga but none of them play in the national squad.

Johan Cruyff was awarded Best player of the century in Europe.

He's the most famous Dutch player with Van Basten in second place. Damn shame when Marco V. Basten got that nasty ankle injury and was forced to retire from soccer at AC Milan.

I believe Johan Cruyff currently does some analysis for a Dutch channel and he also gives advice and info regarding (transfer)players for FC Barcelona.

I hope (and believe) he'll manage the Dutch squad to a World Cup someday ::

Afair, Johan Cruyff was also the trainer of FC Barcelona and successfully too? For the Germans it payed off, to engage the "Kaiser" as the national trainer.

I remember, Van Basten caused some trouble for the Germans in the early 90's. The Dutch had a very good squad at that time and it was a great game during the WC in Mailand.

Zaad,

it was very nice to meet you in person last friday. I really enjoyed it. Hopefully, we can discuss the "old rivalry" over a beer or two in person again!

Peter,

Der Herr Pfaff was very famous in Belgium for his very bad German :) :) :)

Zaad,

Anyway Belgian play in the Dutch league cos otherwise your level would never be at the same level as ours :) :) Anyway, we have a few Dutch here as well..... and Eric Gettits trains a German team, no ?

As for Marco, never met a nicer guy with bad luck, she shared the same hospital room for 3 days, same doctor, same surgery :(

Cheers !

it was very nice to meet you in person last friday. I really enjoyed it. Hopefully, we can discuss the "old rivalry" over a beer or two in person again!

We sure can :beer:

I'll let you know when I'm in town again. Hopefully before you return to Germany.

BB,

Eric Gerets became famous (in Holland) when he played for PSV Eindhoven for years. Fantastic how he could throw the ball so far which made it more valuable than a corner kick :)

He's now coaching 1.FC Kaiserslautern but will be sacked soon as they're performing below standards.

Archived